30 gallon frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidstephyreefs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I'm starting a frag tank that's 24x24x12 approximately 30 gallons and was wondering what kind of tang I should get I was looking at scopas tang or bristletooth tang, are any of those good ideas for my size tank? I've had mixed responses, let's hear some more!

30 gallon = no tangs

That need 6 foot tanks and a tang will not do will in a 30 gallon. Please dont consider getting one.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
30 gallon = no tangs

That need 6 foot tanks and a tang will not do will in a 30 gallon. Please dont consider getting one.

+10000000 6 foot tank to even consider a tang sorry there are many other options though

There are just too many fish to list, but a 30 gallon tank is borderline nano for SW. I would start researching fish online (liveaquaria.com) that offer minimum tank size and other information. When you find conflicting information, go with the smaller tank size as your guide.

Are you looking for a single fish or several.

More importantly, if this is a FRAG tank, why would you have any fish in it?

Nano fish. Go to liveaquaria and look under nano fish. Then tell us what you like :) haha

cmor1701d said:
There are just too many fish to list, but a 30 gallon tank is borderline nano for SW. I would start researching fish online (liveaquaria.com) that offer minimum tank size and other information. When you find conflicting information, go with the smaller tank size as your guide.

Are you looking for a single fish or several.

More importantly, if this is a FRAG tank, why would you have any fish in it?

Well you need fish in a frag tank to eat algae and unwanted critters that grow in your tank such apitasia anemones and other unwanted things. So It's not what I like its what you guys recommend for the size. I know tangs and gobies are good for algae eaters , three spotted damsels are good for getting rid of apitasia, and things like that but is good for my size tank?

If its an aiptasia problem then there are nudibranches that'll eat it and there are snails for algae and crabs for uneaten waste or crap. But you shouldn't rely on livestock to take care of that. There are medications for aiptasia and if your tank is within the right parameters you won't have those problems.

Ibrahim said:
If its an aiptasia problem then there are nudibranches that'll eat it and there are snails for algae and crabs for uneaten waste or crap. But you shouldn't rely on livestock to take care of that. There are medications for aiptasia and if your tank is within the right parameters you won't have those problems.

No ones said relying it just helps, this is getting off topic now. Anyone have any fish recommendations, or other comments on tangs?

Davidstephyreefs said:
No ones said relying it just helps, this is getting off topic now. Anyone have any fish recommendations, or other comments on tangs?

Sorry for misunderstanding but even so there is a chance they won't eat it then you'd have a fish too big in a tank too small. Bare min is 4 feet and that's only for a tomini or kole tang.

Ibrahim said:
Sorry for misunderstanding but even so there is a chance they won't eat it then you'd have a fish too big in a tank too small. Bare min is 4 feet and that's only for a tomini or kole tang.

Alright thanks, what do you think about getting a juvenile/small kole or tomini for a few months then sell it and repeat the pattern? If not what types of fish would you recommend for my requirements/wants

Davidstephyreefs said:
Alright thanks, what do you think about getting a juvenile/small kole or tomini for a few months then sell it and repeat the pattern? If not what types of fish would you recommend for my requirements/wants

I wouldn't do it. There are still other nice fish like chromis, clowns, firefish, gobies, blennies, dartfish, wrasses, and more.

Joe's Juice or peppermint shrimp will help with aiptasia, snails will help with most other algae. Most frag tanks that I am aware are fishless. I rarely buy a frag from a tank that has fish because I then need a full QT regimen before adding it to my DT.
I do use ReVive as cleaner and CoralRx as dips for corals followed by a couple of baths in tank water before placing them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom