Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah def. want to see an update soon!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Update will be at the end of November. Sorry it's taking so long, but cash flow. :-p I got the Fluval 206. So I am on my way.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Totally understandable. You're pretty close...and then comes the cycling part

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys, I was wondering.

I have read that a Canister filter is not good for a SW tank because of it being a Nitrate factory? I bought the Fluval 206 first thing for my tank. So did I waste my money? What filtration do I need? I can't send it back due to it being an "going out of business sale" I got it for $84 dollars. I am going to go with the Reef Octopus BH1000 (I figured might as well spend a little more and get a great skimmer that everyone is raving about).

I am just confused now, because I thought the Fluval would be a great filter for my tank, and some people say not to even have a filter for a SW reef tank.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I have a sump, so I can't say how great or horrible a canister filter is b/c I've never had experience with it. I think one of the reasons it's considered a nitrate factory is b/c if you don't do maintenance, well that's what will happen. Apparently cleaning it out weekly and replacing the media often is essential to keeping nitrates down. There's lots of people, even with reefs who use it, and I'm sure w/ proper care it would do fine. Is that skimmer an in-sump or external skimmer? If it needs to be in the sump then might as well get a sump and sell the canister!

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

First, the Fluval canister filter is great. I have a marineland canister, and its awesome! Second, I also have a sump on my other tank. To be honest, in my OPINION, I'd prefer my canister on a Fowlr tank. It makes 0 noise, and keeps my tank spotless! as long as you don't use bio balls or ceramic rings in your canister filter, you are ok. Even then, I kept both with live rock, and never had a problem. And I would completely disagree and I believe most people on this forum would too, that a filter sump or canister is crucial to keeping water quality livable and humane for your tankmates. Fish in the wild have the ocean, our aquariums even if they are 2000 gallons is still microscopic compared to the ocean. I couldn't imagine not having a filter!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Fluval 406, and first of all- great deal you got on the canister!! I love my canister! Works great, is so quiet, and my water is great! I do also run a skimmer, so that helps too. I clean my filter every week and usually replace 1 sponge item a week, so my nitrates are good. Like obscure said, they CAN be nitrate factories, but that's if the owner gets lazy about cleaning it. I don't have room for a sump, but I really do like this Fluval.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am going to sign off for a while and I will not post again until the tank is up and running. Or if I need help setting up the equipment.

Now having said that, I am delayed with my project, I don't think I will have all the equipment until the end of December. So by the first of the year I will be ready to go. So I am hoping to have a tank set up by the end of January.

The reason I am delayed is my own fault. ;-p I bought my wife a Christmas Present that I need to pay off before I can buy more stuff for my tank. I bought her a Pineapple Green-Cheeks Conure. So As you can tell I got a small Zoo going on.

Her father passed away during last Christmas so I needed something BIG to help her get though. So I am hopping this Bird will help her. Every time I went to Jacks she played with the Bird and she really loved it and is always sad when she has to leave it. Now it's going to be hers and she won't even know it. LoL

I have to give a shout out to Jacks for letting me keep the Bird there for a few weeks while I get a temporary home for the Bird, until Christmas! Yes Jacks is overpriced but the Jacks in Harrison Ohio has been really helpful to me and my project, so I am just throwing that out there to give them a little advertising being they are really helping me out. I don't want my wife to know about the Bird until Christmas day, and I didn't want to Risk having the bird being bought before Christmas time, so that's why I bought it now.

So for now my tank is delayed, but is still a working project. If I find a deal I will buy the deal. I just need a Skimmer and a Light for reefs. I can save money and just do a FOWLR tank being I got a Marineland single bright light. Hope to have more information by the end of December!!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right people!! I am back on track!! So I was able to purchase these two items today!!

Amazon.com: Reef Octopus® BH1000 HOB skimmer with external 1000 pump: Pet Supplies

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i02

So now, I am more than ready to go!! I got the skimmer and the powerhead, and a filter. I got the Single bright LED light that I had left over from my older fish tank.

I got this heater!

Aqueon Submersible Heater 200 Watt(100001502), 100001502, Submersible

So am I missing anything? I was going to do a reef tank, but being I got everything to start a FOWLR tank I am going that route and will upgrade later to the Reef. I can save the $250 I was planning for a reef capable light and get the rest of my supply's like salt and sand and the rock.

So here is to getting my tank up and running before my vacation, so I can throw a dead shrimp in and let it cycle!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good to hear from you again Baron! Sounds like you're ready to go! dump the water in there and let the cycling begin!

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com