Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Those lights may be ok for mushrooms and polyps. You can add thrm any time, before or after. Heres my dwarf, such amazing fish...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-103495293.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	119970  

Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or kill two birds with one stone and just get a fuman shu lionfish. Shy at first but do a lot of swimming! And they are a lot more better looking than other lionfish.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elude82 View Post
Or kill two birds with one stone and just get a fuman shu lionfish. Shy at first but do a lot of swimming! And they are a lot more better looking than other lionfish.
Yes, but I heard they are a lot harder to take care for the first timer.

What is a Lions Fish life span anyway?

Also I was looking at some live rock online that was not cured, is it easy to cure live rock? Being I am not going to start my tank with fish, I was wondering if getting uncured live rock is good. It's much cheaper than live rock that is cured.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome looking lion!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Uncured means the critters that can come with live tock are still alive so you may end up with a crab or worm or something. Its going ti have some die off on route but since youre cycling anyway it doesnt matter. Cured has been left in the dark to kill off the critters that can come with it but it also is missing the good bacteria that comes with uncured from what ive read...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is missing the life and bacteria...then it's just wet rock right? Not live...I'm pretty sure there's still pods and bacteria on it...not sure...anyway. Yes you can either cure the rock yourself or you can just add the uncured rock to the tank if you'd like. btw that lion is mesmerizing! Can't get my eyes to leave that spot on the screen...MUST...LOOK...AWAY! Very nice camera quality too.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Obscurereef

Buy Walt Smith Premium Fiji Live Rock - 44 lb. Box Online | Vivid Aquariums

This is the rock I was thinking about. I mean 44 pounds for 129 is the best I have found so far. I think 44 pounds would be more than enough for my tank and for my Lion to be happy.

Plus all I got to do is cure it, and I read on the website how too. It does not seem too hard. Just put it in my tank with some water movement, and do a 50% water change. Just as if I was doing the cycle anyway. Take it out, clean it off arrange the way I want and done. My only question is would I need the ammonia still or would this rock be that source?

Also you sure mushrooms would be ok with the light I got? I thought all coral needed the coral lights that are special for them? I got the Marine Land Single Bright LED strip for the 29 to 30 gallon tanks. Nothing special!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great! That store is fantastic and high-quality. I bet it is even better in person.
Where I Buy My Fish and Coral Online - YouTube
Anyway, yes you still need an ammonia source. The live rock will have some die off which will help cycle your tank, but it won't be enough. Just put a shrimp or buy pure ammonia from a hardware store. I'm not sure about the light, but I think that you might be able to keep zoas and mushrooms. They are good beginner corals and don't need a lot of light. However, I have read that they shouldn't even be used to grow plants, so might be a gamble unless you compare PAR ratings.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the info everyone!

I had a few more questions. How big do I need to make my hiding spaces for my LionFish when I get him? I am going to get 44 pounds of live rock for my 29 gallon tank. (Yes it's a 29 gallon tank, I messed up when I said 30). I am not sure if I am going to put all that into my tank, but it's the cheapest I found so far and it only comes with a 44 pound shipment.
How many powerheads should I get for my tank and how big? I don't want to make the current so bad my fish can't swim. I was thinking on not getting powerheads as I thought the Fluval and skimmer would create enough current for the tank.

Also at some pet stores, I found Coralife 10,000K Fluorescent Lamps for 13 dollars. I thought coral lights require 100 of dollar lights. So is this a legit light for coral if you already got the hood and fluorescent lamp hood? I would maybe like to have a few corals, was not really planning on it, but it would be cool if it's that cheap to buy a lamp to support some coral if not all types.

I am assuming coral is good for the tank just like live plants are for a fresh water tank.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

First the light. That is a 13watt regular bulb and won't support coral at all. You'd need a lot more light that that...

I've got a good current going and my lion has no issue swimming it it. Id say for a 29gallon one power head should do.

My lion never hides so I don't know about hiding spots for him. Just make some cool ledges for him to sit on, that should be fine...

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com