Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, it's hard for me to comment too much, like i said I have a fuman shu lionfish. He is a little more active than other lionfish. A lot more colorful! That is why I picked him, he reminds me of an old samauri warrior. My little guy just finds any little hiding space in the rocks, usually upside down. Lol if you didn't get a powerhead yet, I would get one, just on the bottom for circulation. To get rid of any deadspots. A low gph powerhead though, maybe around 550gph at the most.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1059001089.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	120527

Love this fish. You will change your mind about him being the only one though. Fish are like guns and tattoos, addicting. If you add some smaller fish first, like a jaw fish or something to burrow in the sand, he won't bother them but see them as inhabitants. Anything small enough to eat that hits the water after he gets comfortable will be seen as food. Mine eats frozen mysis shrimp, plankton, and live ghost shrimp. Never tried krill.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Love the setup! BTW what are those worm like things coming from the rock...bristle star arms?

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol I second that! He will not be the only fish! Every time you go to the LFS you will catch your self browsing other fish. Sooner or later you will give in. I started with one tank, filled it to the limit of fish per gallon. Still wanted more, welll...... Long story short I had to start multiple tanks to satisfy my so called addiction. Lol and just to put it out there. A trigger will compliment your lionfish!!!! Lmao
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. What fish would you all suggest I start with in a 29 gallon?

Also what light would you recommend if I wanted to add a little bit of coral to get some flow. I was not going to add any coral because of lighting cost, but I see T5 lights bulbs for 10 to 29 dollars and that's what people are using it seems like.

As of right now, my fish tank is about a month out. That's just set up, not anything else. Fish are about 2 months out. :-p
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bristle star, you got it.creeps my wife out. Love it. I've got a purple dotty back, tiger jaw fish and a six line wrasse along with a volitan lion all w my dwarf. Everybody gets along great but sometimes the dottyback gets territorial and acts like hes tough. Coral adds a lot of color to your tank but do your research and all will be well. Would love to add a snowflake eel but that might b pushing my bioload to the limit.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh trust me guys, I plan on getting more fish. I think my Wife and I are hooked! LoL

I want to set up this tank as a challenge. I know the smaller the tank the harder it is. I figured if I could do this 29 gallon, I can go bigger!! :-p Maybe just go big and do a 200 gallon and good to go.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this your first tank? I honestly love Huma Huma aka Picasso triggerfish. They will complement your lionfish. Your lion is very calm and free floating. The trigger will be all I've the place, and they have a lot of personality!!!!! They are like having a pet puppy in your tank. They are very responsive and aware of you. If not look into a good size hawkish. They are the clowns of the aquarium. I have a Hawaiian hawkish, and absolutely adore him. A little less aggressive than a trigger. to be honest, I think you should consider just having an aggressive tank. But if you give into wanting to try coral, a pulsing Xenia is excellent!!! They are very hardy, and grow fast. So it will add a little extra color and texture to your tank.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishfighter, MAN that brittle star is huge! I have a serpent sea star and I wouldn't mind if it became the "monster" of the tank and scared a few visitors ...

That's a beautiful fish, but I don't think a triggerfish would do nicely in a 30 gallon tank and that would be a lot of waste as they are messy eaters. Would be great in baron's "future" 200 gallon aquarium.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

True, I apologize, slipped my mind it was that many gallons. Then a Hawaiian Hawkfish would do great! All they need is a few places to perch to be happy, not big swimmers.

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com