Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah, and that brittle star is massive!!! It reminds me of a giant squid getting ready to crush a ship! Pretty AWESOME!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's fine I love hawkfishes. I wish I could get a longnose hawkfish, but I'm getting all peaceful fish and wouldn't want him/her to be the bully of the tank.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

And I just have to say something about that dottyback! Pretty funny how some fish think they are so strong, when they could be risking their lives. I was watching this documentary and a tiny pufferfish about 1" picked on the fins of a lionfish that was about a foot! If the lionfish swallowed the puffer, it would just blow up and the lionfish would have to spit it out. What a troll!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

To be honest, I have had two Hawkfish. The Hawaiian and a Calico. As long as there isn't any shrimp in the tank they are very peaceful fish. only aggressive eaters when in tank with aggressive fish. They are like The Foxface: they are very easy going fish, although a Foxface is non aggressive, you can put them in tanks with very aggressive fish just because of their nice long sharp spikes on their dorsal fin.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

The dotty back will try to punk out the dwarf but he just lowers his head and doesn't move. I'm almost sure that he will end up being purple poop. My volitan is the boss but I think the dwarf is more aggressive. I still like the idea of an eel. The way your rock will be setup is perfect for an eel cave. My dwarf hangs upside down a lot.hard to find sometimes but that's almost more fun than watching them swim.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, info overload. :-p

Ok, so if I did get a Hawaiian Hawkfish with the Lion fish they should be ok together? Remember I plan on putting a Tuxedo Sea urchin in my tank as well. I don't know about the FoxFace every place I read says they need a 70 gallon or bigger. Every eel I read up on says the same thing.

Also no this is not my first tank. I had this tank set up as fresh water and nuked it. I stressed my Clown Loaches out by removing their favorite hide out and putting a new hide out for them. I didn't think they would get ICK and die because of that. I tried treating it. So after that, I decided that I got the tank and stand. I got most of the equipment, lets do what I wanted to do in the first place. Salt Water. I was too scared too because I keep hearing Salt Water is harder. I have another thread for a 90 gallon set up I am thinking in the future. About a year or two. I might just go ahead and do a 200 gallon as it seems most of the fish my wife and I like need a 180 gallon to be happy.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just finished painting my stand black. Needing to get a new Tank for cheap being the old one cracked. I got everything else thou but a skimmer and a power head. I am going to buy a canister fluval filter one that does 45 gallons. It will be in addition to my marineland on tank filter. My marine land is only rated for 30 gallons and I figures since the Lion produces a lot of waste it would be good to have an extra filter with a sponge in it and a bio wheel. So I hope to have the tank running by the end of October so I can cycle it for the whole month of November.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not 100% positive how the Hawaiian hawkfish will interact with the tuxedo. The lionfish he shouldn't bother. In one tank I had a Calico Hawkfish with clowns, a tang, goby, angel, snails, and hermit crabs, and he never messed with any of them. In my aggressive tank I have the Hawaiian Hawkfish with a Huma Huma triggerfish(very aggressive), a Lunar Wrasse(extremely aggressive), a Fuman Shu Lionfish(very laid back), a maroone clown(aggressive), and out of all odds I took down a smaller tank and split the fish in that tank, and took a huge gamble and threw in a valentini puffer(which everyone thought would last a few minutes) and yes a small scooter Blenny( nope not joking) everyone at the LFS laughed when I said I was doing this!!!! so I am a firm believer that a lot of fish vary in their stereotypical behavior. I think the Hawaiian is a great choice! Others may disagree, but I feel it will be a nice opposite to the lionfish, and you will enjoy the Hawaiian's personality. And most fish instinct seem to stay clear of most lionfish, I guess they are naturally intimidating?!?!? Lol
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Elude82.

I was just going to set it up for the Lion, but thanks to you guys I have come out ahead. I think I will go with the Hawaiian Hawkfish and the Lion together. Now the only thing I need to know is what coral I should put in. I was thinking about getting this from Ebay.

T5 Quad 36" Timer Aquarium Light Strip Marine Reef Coral Cichlid 156W LED Fan HO | eBay

No one has really given me any clue if it would be an ok light for any kind of corals. I don't want hard corals. Just whatever that light can support without killing it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think the Hawkfish would interact at all with the tuxedo. Only because all fish seem to stay clear of something with spins. I could be wrong, but I hope I am not. :-p

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com