Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a coralife cone skimmer and think it does a very nice job if your looking into a cheaper skimmer

Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just to let you all know, I have officially started my build! YEAH!!

Hope to have everything lined up and ready to go by the end of October and get my tanked cycled though November.

When I say I offcially started, I bought a new 29 gallon tank to replaced the chipped old one. :-p

Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

NICE!!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome! now you have to wait and endure the cycle...the biggest test of patience haha. And this is probably too late, but the hydor slim skin is said to be a great skimmer and it's on sale.
Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All of the skimmers look so darn complicated. I hope that I can get it running right. Do I put the skimmer in while cycling or just when I get the fish?

Also this is an off the wall question. How often do fish die in this hobby? It seems that we all take great care in trying not to kill our fish, but it happens. Just how much stock should I put into it if say my first lion dies even though all the water perimeters was right, the feeding was right. Just something happens and dead. When do you think it's a good idea for a person to give up the hobby? I guess the question is what's an acceptable mortality rate for fish for a hobbyist? Random question, I know. lol
Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

They can be a strange new piece of equipment, I know because I was overwhelmed with all the parts that came with my skimmer, but I just read the directions and it was all good . If you get stuck assembling you could always ask for help on here...some skimmers are plug and play. You can turn on the skimmer while cycling (usually skimmers take a week to "break in"). However, I turned on the skimmer after my tank cycled b/c the skimmer takes out organic waste so that it doesn't decay and cause an increase in nitrates, however this is what you want during a cycle. You don't want to take waste out that you want to decay to start the cycle.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for the help. I feel way more confident than I did in setting up my tank than I ever did. I hope this leads to success and I am confident that it will. I will be updating this thread on my build.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, you have to break in a skimmer, so might as well do it as soon as you start. They look complicated, but in all reality are pretty simple devices. If you do come across problems, just post on this forum. About fish death, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!! Especially starting out. Don't let it discourage you though, not at all!!!!! going to that, while you cycle your tank, go and buy a small bottle of Smart Start! I swear by this stuff!!! It will automatically get the good bacteria you need for your aquarium. It's a great kick start!!! Going back to fish death: before you put any fish in, make sure it cycles, then test the water at you local fish store(LFS), next make sure the fish you pick is healthy: no ICH!! Also, make sure you ask the people to feed him, and make sure he eats, before buying. Not eating can be a sign of bad health. don't just go and buy a fish just so you can get started, being new, you might not be able to nurse a fish to proper health. And when I first started I would test the water twice a week. most people change their water once a month about 20%. I did and still do it once a week. About 10%. Sounds excessive, but this is where logic kicks in. Do you really want your fish to be swimming in month old water, basically using the water to its limits??? I don't. make sure you only top off in between water changes with RO water. Never ever use tap!!!! I know I just posted a lot, but take it in, write the steps down, keep your patience, and you will have happy healthy fish. And I think I may have had 6 fish total die, all from rookie mistakes. A lot of people will go though hundreds and thousands of fish before they get it right. Sorry for the long post. And again: Smart Start!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's the whole reason why I started researching a month out even before set up. I killed about 10 already. With my freshwater fish tank. Don't want to be responsible for a massacre when I already killed 10. :-p

I believe with the help you all have given me, and getting a list of the right equipment it will help me BIG time from this point.

My brother wants to do a similar size tank, and this would be his first tank. I said wait until I do mine and get it running, that way I can get a sponge ready for him. Plus I will have knowledge about what to get and do.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was wondering? Where my tank hood has the band that runs in the middle, I was thinking of adding a strip of this.

Aquarium Coral WHITE 10000K Light LED Strip 100 Lumens/Ft SaltWater Reef 10,000k | eBay

Would that help grow some coral? I don't expect it be be the end all lighting solution, but I thought they looked cool. I mean a strip of LED's is cool in itself. :-p I might buy a roll just because I think it's cool, and not necessarily helpful in keeping coral alive and healthy.

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com