Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I figured out my lighting I am going to do. I am going with one AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture. I talked to the guy's down at "The Reef" in Indianapolis and they said it was a good light that I can add to in the future. I am going to put a timer on it as to control the day. My question is should I have a completely dark tank at night? I did with my fresh water tank and fish didn't seem to mind. Where I plan on having it some natural light will come in. I could get the timer to turn the lights on at 8AM so some of the sun light will light up the tank a bit before full lights come on.

Also do yo think that having a Six line wrasse in the tank with the Dwarf Zebra Lion and a Pixy/Spotted Hawkfish would be ok? You already know I was going to put in the Hawkfish and the Lion. I know it's a risk putting in each fish with the Lion. I was going to buy the Wrasse as large as I can get it and planned on putting it in first before the other two.

I don't really care about the Wrasse (I don't want to kill it), so if you don't think it's a good Idea I will just stick with the two I planned on. I just thought it would add a little extra color to the tank. What order of fish should I put them in? Should the Lion and Hawkfish go in together or should I put the Hawkfish in first than the Lion? If you guys think a Wrasse would be ok, should I go. Wrasse first, wait a week, Hawkfish wait a week than Lion?

With all the information gathered I didn't think about fish order yet. :-p

Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

As much as you think the lionfish is aggressive, their personalities are usually really laid back, it's just feeding time they get aggressive. Rule if thumb, if it fits in the lionfish mouth, it will probably end up there. How long is your tank? I will finish my reply when you answer. You will like having the wrasse!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's the standard 29 gallon tank 30" x 12" x 18".

I went to the store and saw all the fish I was thinking about. They were smaller than I thought. I know they are young fish, but still not as big as I thought. I saw a fully grown Six Line Wrasse and wow really good looking fish. I was thinking about buying it fully grown so it would be bigger than the lion. It's a little more, but might be worth it for it not to be eaten. The Hawkfish I saw was not the one I wanted, but it was really small. 2in at most. Here is a picture of my new tank. Bare but I hope soon full. I am glad I panted it black, looks a lot better than oak.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

The reason I ask about the length of the tank, is so you know what total amount of fish you should be able to have in it. It is a general rule of thumb to not exceed the amount of fish than the length of your tank.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you have 30in of fish to play with. What was your list? I can help you with what order to get them in.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think that basing the # of inches of the length of the tank by how many fish you can have is a good rule of thumb. That would mean he could have 10 three inch fish or 6 five inch fish! That is waaay too much for a 30 gallon tank. My 70 gallon has weird dimensions (5 ft long), but that doesn't mean I'm going to put 7 ten inch fish in there! I've heard that 2 gallons per 1 inch of adult fish is a good rule (but this is from PETCO so I don't really agree with this too much). I later read that 5 gallons per 1 inch of an adult fish is best. Really depends on the bioload and work you want to do. Have to balance it out though!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was only thinking of 3 fish. I was only go with two fish, but they seem really small when I seen them in person and not online. :-p

Six Line Wrasse, Blood Red Hawkfish, and a Dwarf Zebra Lion. One or Two Tuxedo Sea Urchin That is all I was thinking about. What scared me is the small size of each fish before adult hood. I know that the Lion is laid back, but don't want to wake up and see that the Lion just had a gourmet meal on me. :-p
Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Freak

Obsurereef, this is where we will have to agree to disagree. Yes, it depends on the bio load. So in a 30 gallon tank, a person can only have basically 6 inch of fish???? Which would basically be 2 clowns?!?!? I like going by the inches of a tanks length, rectangle ones. As long as a person has proper tank filtration, based on salt and not fresh, has a protein skimmer, doesn't over feed, has a proper clean up crew( if permitted) and changes water adequately( when water needs it, not when only once a month comes around and the water is on the brink of bad parameters), then a person and their fish should be fine.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

And Baron, sounds like an awesome, and well planned lineup of fish, all different swimming patterns. Just give them all their own place to sleep(caves), places for the Hawkfish to perch, and substrate for the wrasse to play with and rock work to go in and out of for its enjoyment. Take pics when you get them all, and add the wrasse first, lionfish second and hawk last. Oh and all the inverts before the fish.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Everyone has their opinions and ways of doing things, and I don't completely agree that 1" of grown fish for every 5 gallons is right, I mean if you wanted a really low bioload that would be the way to go. What I think is best is considering all the factors, so how much surface area on the top for gas exchange (not that anyone really thinks of this), filtration, skimmer or no skimmer, & your willingness for maintenance. The more fish, usually the more territorial they will become as each fish is trying to claim it's own space and overcrowding can result in aggressiveness. I think Baron has a good amount of fish, any more and I'd say it's too much. However, I still don't think that just giving 30" of fish for how long the tank is can be a good rule...not to be rude, but how would you decide how many fish is okay in a taller tank, or a really long tank with only 6" width or other shapes (cubes, hexagons, circular, etc.). I think picking fish that will be alright in the appropriate size tank, and how much waste they will create, and how big they will get, etc. will be a good way to determine how many fish to add. Even if you do a ton of water changes frequently, I still think it's wrong to put 10 damsels or 10 clownfish in a 30 gallon tank (just an ex. for size). Lastly, why all inverts before fish? Invertebrates are not as hardy as some fish are, they are more sensitive to nitrates and can't handle drastic changes in pH and salinity like some fish can. I'd say start with a CUC, get the wrasse if nitrates are about 10 ppm (max. 20) and then go from there. So yes you could put inverts in there, but since you just started, you might have trouble getting all the levels correct every time.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com