Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Elude82.

There is so much contradictory information on online websites it's good to come to a place where others have done this before.

For instance, A lot of websites say that a dwarf zebra lion will be fine in a 30 gallon tank, but I have came across two that said a 55 would be minimal for them. Same fish, different online store. So I don't know what to think sometimes, but I have talked to many people before I have decided what fish to put into my tank, so I am confident that I will be fine.

Also, I do water changes every two weeks once the tank has been up for a while. I will be doing it once a week for a while. Just as an update, I got the Fluval 206 filter so now I just need the Protein skimmer and the light. Once that is good, I will get the small stuff like sand and a new power supply. Than I will buy the rocks and get to work. I am going to order my rocks online, because every place around me only sales cured live rock. So any suggestions on good live rock websites?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Obsuredreef, didn't mean to contradict you, but I was only stating my opinion, even said it while stating it. And if you would read my posts again, you would see the reasonings of my opinion. I am stating my opinion based on facts of what I have already done. With my trial and errors! Also, yes, my first tank ever was a 56 gallon column, and yes column and other odd shaped tanks are in fact the most difficult to maintain based on how many fish per gallon, and other things people debate about. and the order I said to put the live stock in is the most logical in my opinion. First the inverts which are absolutely the highest at risk. Why?: when introducing fish to the tank they will look at them more as part of the environment rather than food. yeah, they will still have a chance of getting picked on, but the chance is lessened greatly. second being the wrasse: why?: because put of the other fish, by far the least aggressive. Third: the lionfish: why?: because although people who don't know too much about aquariums see a lionfish, see it, and just think its some tough fish that just is very aggressive, when in my opinion are aggressive, but only when food is in front of them. Besides that, I feel they are like a Foxface, they are in aggressive tanks because of poisonous spines that deters others from conflict against them. And finally: the Hawkfish, why last???? doesn't look the most aggressive comparing the lionfish and him, but there is a reason why you get those little guys slightly smaller than most in the tank, they are the true aggressors most of the time, when put in tanks with aggressive fish. And the Hawkfish is more known to make meals out of inverts than other fish in aquariums. I am not trying to sound cocky or superior, this is all just by experience. I am also lucky to have a small Scooter Blenny in a tank full of well known aggressive, if not psychotic fish, to name a few: a humu humu (Picasso) triggerfish, a Lunar Wrasse, and a Blood red Hawkfish. Feeding time is a frenzy, but the Blenny will eat side by side with the 3 eating the same piece of clam, fish, shrimp, etc. and I have a firm belief it has to do with my order of introduction and how my steps are in doing it.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

And Baron, when you get the live stock, I will tell you my steps of how I introduce my fish to tanks and new tankmates, wether people agree or not.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't question the fish that are put into the 30 gallon. I understand lionfish can be timid, but are aggressive in the sense that they eat anything that fits in their mouth (a comparison to an anglerfish might be suitable). I kind of agree with the inverts going in first if it's an aggressive tank which this pretty much is because of the lion. With peaceful reef safe & invert safe fish, I'd have a different opinion. There isn't a right or wrong way...and as you can see there's even contradiction on here . Everyone has their own experience and ways of doing things and I guess you'll just have different options to choose from.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think three fish in a 30 gallon tank, that 95% of the websites say require a 30 gallon as minimal! Will be fine.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do too.

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't worry obscurereef, I don't completely disagree with you either. And yes we all will contradict ourselves and each other in some ways in time. I am just going by experience. For example: order of fish that I feel should go into his tank. I have a an aggressive tank, as I said a Humu Humu triggerfish, a Linar wrasse which is also nicknamed the Lunatic Wrasse, a 5 inch Blood Red aka Hawaiian Hawkfish, a Fu Manchu Lionfish, a Stars and Stripes Dogface Puffer, a Valentini Puffer(which everyone said wouldn't last a day in the tank), a maroon clown( probably the most aggressive clown, etc, and out of all odds a Scooter Blenny! Yes, a small 3 inch Scooter Blenny. When I told everyone at my LFS I was putting the scooter Blenny and valentini puffer in my aggressive tank they laughed, and called them expensive snacks. I had no other choice at the time, I was taking down a smaller tank, found homes in my other tank for some of them, but had these two left out. Couldn't stick the valentini in the other tanks do to my abundance of inverts, and the scooter Blenny couldn't mix well with my mandarin. I feel it was the way I introduced them to the tank that they didn't become a snack. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my aggressive tank....I keep my horseshoe crab!!!!! and not one fish messes with him. Lol
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I'm really surprised that your scooter blenny is alive! They are a type of dragonet (like mandarins) and don't they have special food requirements and are docile? There are exceptions, but to me that seems like an overstocked aquarium. Not trying to be the "stock police" or what not...but fish can outgrow tanks. I'm sure they're happy so I'm not trying to scold or insult you by saying it seems like a bit much for a 55. The horseshoe crabs are mostly in the sand so it would be hard to get to him since he's hidden so much. How big is he and how long have you had him. I might consider getting one eventually, but they get more aggressive when they are larger. Something that really got me interested is not only do they look awesome, but they are more related to spiders than crabs, their blood is blue, and their blood is pretty close to the worth of gold I think (not that I want any)!

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, the Blenny does not belong, and actually is going against all odds being on there. Oh, I apologize, the aggressive fish are not in the 55 gallon tank, my inverts and other fish are in there. my aggressive fish are in another tank. Lol and I plan on retiming them to an even bigger tank in the near future. To at least a 200-300 gallon tank. They are all still not full grown. And yes the bio load sounds a little heavy, but my filter is rated way over the gallons of the tank, my protein skimmer too! Also, I do once a week water changes as opposed to waiting and stretching the water out too long and doing it once a month. The whole 20% change once a month that people go by, I don't follow. I like my fish having better quality water more often. I basically do 10% changes every week. so I can get away with having more fish. If I didn't do these things I wouldn't dare adding that many fish.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a nice upgrade, but a huge project. I think 10% every week is best also (I do this too). The more frequent, the less time waste has to decompose and increase the nitrates.

- Winston Churchill

Tags
30 gallon, dwarf, fish, gallon, lion fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com