30 Gallon Upgrade Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubikcube

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have about 300 dollars to spend on upgrading my tank. I need some advice on what to get. Here is what I have so far...

30 Gallon FOWLR
Two Ocellaris Clowns
Some blue leg hermits
25 pounds live rock
Eclipse 3 light/filter(i know, i know)
3.5 inch DSB
Biowheel removed and replaced with purigen and phosguard

Water chemistry has been perfectly stable for about 9 months. Nitrates have been 0 for about 6 months. I don't do water changes as much as I probably should, maybe once every 5 weeks. I change water with Oceanic salt and RO water from the grocery store. I test with basic test strips from Petsmart and a hydrometer.

I would like to do a reef with maybe frogspawn, mushroom, button polyps, hammer, or bubble coral. I'd also like to get some kind of shrimp. I would be interested in getting more rock at some point as well.

What do I do to upgrade?

Protein skimmer - I don't have one right now, so this might be a no brainer. I was thinking either the AquaC Nano Remora or maybe 2 CurrentUSA Fissions to save money.

Lights - I am pretty sure that I want the 30" Orbit fixture. Would this be enough for the corals listed?

Powerheads - I really don't have a clue about this. Any advice is appreciated.

Test kits - I know I probably need something better than a test strip if I am going to do reef stuff.

RO/DI - Should I maybe get an RO/DI system and put off the reef for a while?

Any thoughts?

Well first thing is if you are planning on having a reef you`ll need to change water more than every 5 weeks. The RO/DI will be a good addition as tap water contains many impurities that will harm your corals depending what it`s like in your area. The skimmer will be huge also as it will remove DOC`s from your tank water that later on will turn into nitrates that will fuel bad algeas. Those lights I`m not familar with. I use VHO`s.

well do you have a 29gall or 30gall? cause they have diff. demensions!
Lights - I am pretty sure that I want the 30" Orbit fixture. Would this be enough for the corals listed?
yes It would, that is 130 watts with 2 lunar lights and IMO that is good... you dont have an HIGH light corals (does he? I diddnt think their were any) thats about 4-5 watts per gallon.....

The standard 29 is 30" and the standard 30 is 36".

I am not a big fan of the Orbit. I have the Coralife Lunar light and I couldn't be more satisfied. I have only had my tank up 3 momths and I have coraline spreading everywhere and all my corals (polyps, sotf, LPS) are growing rapidly. I have the 192 watt over my 30 so it is a good amount of light.

If you have a 29 it is 130 watts and they are all on sale right now at Dr. Fosters. For a 30 you get about 6.4 wpg.

The orbit is the same price but I have heard they are not as dependable though I have no first hand experience. Others also like T5 and VHO as Mel stated.

It's a 29. I usually just refer to it as a thirty not remembering that there is a difference in dimensions.

I think I'm going to get the lights and remora skimmer. What about powerheads? I really don't have any idea what to get. Would two mini-jet 606s be ok?

Should I get a hang on back power filter? I have heard differing opinions on this. The LFS says yes, but I've heard that the live rock is enough.

Back
Top Bottom