Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

30 Gallons!!!!

Hi! Just a quick question. What are some good and fun and beautiful fish for a beginner 30 gallon saltwater tank? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to spideybry Send a message via MSN to spideybry Send a message via Skype™ to spideybry
Hi, welcome first of all. Before jumping the gun and putting fish in, it is a good idea to make sure your tank is ready for fish. Posting on a forum is a great way to start

So how old is the tank? What are your nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia levels at? What are your plans for the tank? (Reef, fish only, do you plan on putting inverts?) Keeping good upkeep of your tank is one of the main keys of keeping your pets alive.

That being said, clown fish are usually the staple of a reef lol. They are usually what everyone enjoys and recognizes. I would advise against damsel fish, usually they are extremely hardy fish and very cheap, but they grow big and mean on the norm.

If you are looking to an alternative to clown fish, maybe some cardinal fish or blue/green chromis. The idea is to keep these guys alive and with you while your reef lives on

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks and I have 3 damsels. My tank is about a month old and I have had the damsels for about 3 days. We are going to have them for about 4 weeks to make sure our tank is okay. So far I only have those 3 fish and 2 live rocks. I was wondering... Whats the difference between reef and regular aquariums? What makes an aquarium a reef aquarium?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

A)wut do u mean 2 liverocks u should have about 30 lbs. Of LR. B)as soon as you add a coral,or anemone,mushroom,ect... It becomes a reef,before that its a fowlr(fish only with live rock)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to spideybry Send a message via MSN to spideybry Send a message via Skype™ to spideybry
Well there are a few different types of salt water tanks. Reef tanks have corals, inverts, fish, and macro algaes. A fish only tank would normally tend to house more aggressive fish that could potentially eat corals/inverts, so these are usually kept with fish and no corals. Then you have all those in between.

How many lbs of live rock would you say you have in there? Also how long has the tank been up? Have you tested your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? Also what do you have for filtration?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A) there are about 15 pounds of live rock and I am planning on getting another 15 soon. B) thanks. Then I plan to get things to make it a reef tank. What would be some good and low tempered fish for a reef tank? Plus I want a cleaner shrimp so I can't have anything that eats them.

Tags
30 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com