30 #s of LR from Liverocks.com!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWGuppie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I bought my 30#s of Live rock from liverocks.com. I also bought all my sand and set up my tank and what not because I bought salt, sand, and some ""cured live rock"" from the LFS. Right now my salinity is 1.020-.021....is that good? my PH is wierd..it reads 7.8 but I heard pH wasn't a big problem during curing of live rock.

First, Do I just add the live rock when I get it and let it begin the curing process? I have a Top Fin 30 mechanical filter running w/ filter pad in it (29g tank). I just kind of need to know what to do for the curing process.

Ok, I bought my 30#s of Live rock from liverocks.com.
IMO Smart Move
Right now my salinity is 1.020-.021....is that good
I would raise to about 1.024-1.025
my PH is wierd..it reads 7.8 but I heard pH wasn't a big problem during curing of live rock.
Very True wait a few weeks and it should stabilize..
I have a Top Fin 30 mechanical filter running w/ filter pad in it (29g tank). I just kind of need to know what to do for the curing process.
I would just have the filter running.. After the LR is cured it could be possible that you wont even need the filter media in.. Just monitor Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate.. If either ammonia, nitrite get above 1.0ppm for any length of time more than 24hrs I would do a 50% water change and monitor again in 24hrs..

HTH,
James

Maybe I should get my water checked by the LFS...i'm using the Deep Six Hydrometer to check my salinity, and i've heard some people really beating Deep Six up because its never very accurate?? So should I bring a sample to the LFS and let them check everything out?

I have a deep six and found that if you break it in as directed (leave it in water for 24 hours), and clean it with fw after each use, it's pretty close to my refractometer. Of course I don't use it anymore, at least not since I spent the $50 on the refractometer. A very good investment imo.

OK, go back from the LFS...and this is what they had to say
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0 - .25
Nitrate - 0 - 5
Specific Gravity - 1.021
pH - 8.36

is that about right? this is w/o adding any rock or anything so far, i'm still awaiting the shipment.....

Looks about right. I would bring the SG up a tad to 1.024 - 1.025.

Are you going to QT the new rock or just put it in the tank and see what pops out?

I used a DeepSix for a long time before purchasing my refractometer. To my suprise, when I checked the accuracy of the DeepSix against the refractometer, it was only .001 SG's off. Pretty darn accurate for $6.

Back
Top Bottom