Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me tell you guys ...

After visiting all the sorting hubs for UPS, FedEx, DHL (formerly AirBorne) and USPS. These people are very underpaid and overworked in these facilities and to tell you the truth don't really care about your "Fragile" items!

I have learned by working many years in the packaging and processing dept. of several companies that writing fragile on a box is an open invite to damged goods, kind of like "Hey Kick me and toss me around and oh yeah make sure you set a 100lb box on me too."
I only use UPS and have really never had a problem with them, BUT I do insure that when any packages are shipped to me the shipper DOES NOT put fragile on the box anywhere!!!! UPS by far had the best sorting processes that I seen.

Packages are going to get tossed and flipped around but even more so when they know there is something of value inside!

Lando - if you don't mind me asking how was your neon light packaged? Neon tubes are extremely fragile and can burst from just being exposed to the wrong temperature. It may have indeed been falty packaging, especially if the person who sent it to you has their own insurer. Sounds like they expect a lot of broken signs!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Lando - if you don't mind me asking how was your neon light packaged?
All the tubes were wrapped in foam. The light was then wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a bos with closed-cell foam all around it. The bos was sealed and then placed in a nother box with closed-cell foam all around it. It was in there very tight and was well packaged. I have ordered from this company before with great results. The item arrived in perfect shape, nothing broken.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a reason Dell switched from UPS to DHL. Too many claims of stolen computers, lost computers, broken computers -- and DHL costs less. FedEx does all of our international, 2nd-day and overnight shipping.

When I was in sales and we still used UPS -- I can't believe how many times customer's requested Adult Signature Required and would call me and say, "He just handed me the box. I asked if there was anything else and the guy just questioned me." Its something like an additional $2 to require an Adult Signature. Sometimes they'd just leave the package there -- sometimes up to $10,000.00 in server equipment. Talk about a scary thought. General shipping rules are, if its over $100 a signature is required - a neighbor, apartment office -- but to leave that much equipment freaked out my customers.

USPS sent me a package marked with live product; my only complaint was that no card was left at my door stating that I had a package so my 200 snails were left in the apartment box by the normal shoebox mailboxes -- so they sat in the box for two days because I dont check my mail every day (partially my fault). In any case, about 35% of the snails survived! (which was still way more than I needed, LOL).
Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmmm ... welp then it was defintely a UPS problem. It's just horrible that people spend good money on items like this only to have them destroyed in transit.

I think that is why I am so leary of ordering any corals or fish online!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz79
Hmmmm ... welp then it was defintely a UPS problem. It's just horrible that people spend good money on items like this only to have them destroyed in transit.

I think that is why I am so leary of ordering any corals or fish online!
Dont be afraid of ordering online -- just use FedEx. Their overnight rates are typically cheaper anyway.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jermz79 a long time ago I worked at UPS over the holidays and also had a friend who had a regular job there. I have to argue with your statement
Quote:
UPS by far had the best sorting processes that I seen
On my friends first day they said here put this stack of boxes on this conveyor. He proceeded to pick up a box and place it etc. The guy stopped him and said this is how we do it here. He wedged the box out on the bottom of the stack causing the stack to fall over on the conveyor.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have always liked my UPS delivery guy. I have left notes to put stuff in the garage, etc and they will do it. My delivery guy is a relative now so if I need anything special, he can help me out sometimes.

KNow your delivery people
Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brenden there is a difference in working at a city facility and the national sorting facility.
When I said the sorting facility I meant the National one sorry. By far UPS has the best processes. I have visited each one of the main sorting facilities and seen some crazy things happen.
For Example the Fedex facility has there cargo conveyer about 30 feet in the air ... when a plane comes in and the semitruck brings those packages to the main facility it backs up to a huge door and about 15 people jump in and just start tossing packages ... big, small whatever! The packages then run along this conveyer and at the very end drop 30 FEET 8O down to another sorting conveyer, where people begin to toss them onto different conveyers depending on state, route, zip and service requested.
I'm sure it happens all the time at every facility for every shipper, it's probably one of those things that comes back to personal experience.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 08-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is also why i fired UPS. A customer shipped my company 40K dollars worth of gear. UPS lost the shipment then Insisted that we received it and must be lying to them . They also personally ****ed me for over 300 dollars from buying something, me shipping it back and supposidly it got broken. Filed a claim and they ignored me even after the box was insured for the full value. DO NOT USE UPS. You know what i think of when i think of brown ? It sure as *edit* aint UPS.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've never had a problem with UPS. I've had fish arrive alive and in good shape. If they have a package marked fragile keep cool and it's 108F outside they call us up and tell us that they are bringing it and keep it in the front of the truck instead of the back with no temperature control. The ups delivery guy never leaves them at the wrong door and knows where my stepdad works so if nothing else he's delivered packages there.

now fedex...
Let's not go there. I would be happy if they just delivered on time to the right door when there's a sign saying "do not leave packages here deliver to the downstairs glass door or leave in the garage" much less if more than half my fish survived.

I'll use USPS to ship snails before Fedex.

Tags
food, live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com