Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

$300 livestock purchase ruined! seafood stew anyone?

I purchased $300 worth of hermits, snails, starfish etc It was shipped next day UPS. At 1:00 I called UPS and they said they only promised delivery by 7:00 so a 6:00 still nothing I checked on UPS.com and it said it was delivered. I once again checked both doors like I did several times throughout the day. I finally found my package thrown in the driveway laying in full sun. It had live fish, fragile marked all over it and sorry UPS threw it in the drive on the backside of my car without so much as a knock on the door. I know the place I purchased my wet/dry will not ship UPS and LR.com said they only would as a last option. I see why.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
ouch, is it covered? I know UPS usually has insurance on all packages. Sorry to here that.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it was insured but you can never get UPS to pay. They always blame the other party. The guy I bought my wet/dry from said he shipped one UPS and it arrived broken so he filed a claim. They responded with improper packaging. He made another one and took it to UPS for them to package. It also arrived broken. He filed a claim and they denied it with improper packaging. He showed them the receipt were they had packaged it and they still denied it. So he threatened them with a lawsuit and they responded see you in court. Everyone I have dealt with is staying away from UPS for the same reasons. I had a problem with my order from hirocks.com. It was thrown in the driveway with 3 of the 7 boxes burst and rock all over the driveway. I filed claim UPS denied. Hirocks sent some replacements for the rock that was missing and said they would deal with UPS. (hirocks.com is highly recommended))
Old 08-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, thats aweful Brenden. Who did you order from? I hope they can make it right. Did anything survive? Don't give up on the snails. I would put them in a tub of sw and give them some time. I've ordered snails and they were shipped dry, priority mail. When I opened them up, I was sure they'd be dead, the package was so hot, but dang if they weren't all still alive.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Thats one reason i don't order stuff over the internet.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have acclimated for 2 1/2 hours so far. There is some life. The stuff I know made it I am going to put in and the stuff that appears to be dead I am putting on a piece of screen in the tank. I will give it a few hrs to move and if it does not then I will get rid of it. Several things are obviously dead and mashed.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry. I would save the box, and call them as soon as possible. Personally I've never had a problem, but I don't doubt they exist.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

This thread has me feeling a bit uneasy as I am expecting a lighting set via UPS today or Monday. I did have the foresight to have it delivered to my parents address. They are retired and pretty much always at home. I had visions of UPS tossing it at the door of my condo (or worse) and then have someone walk off with it before I had a chance to get home.

Unfortunately the economic trend in this country seems to be for companies to hire unqualified people so they can pay them a low wage and then give them unrealistic work loads all so they can show a larger profit. which means larger bonuses at the executive and managerial level and customer be damed. Very bad business indeed.

Of course all of this will quickly change when people stop buying anything but the necessities not because they don't have the money but because they know there is a very good chance they will be dealing with unqualified service employees or end up with damaged or otherwise worthless goods. I think we are getting closer to this than the CEOs would like to believe.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh man, sorry for your poor service. I just won a Corona neon bar sign off ebay. UPS delivered it. I knwe as soon as I picked up the package something was wrong. All I heard was broken glass shifting around and the box was deformed on one side, like something heavey was sitting on it. Sure enough, I opened it up and found my sign broken in several spots. I called the company and he told me not to even call UPS. They have a third party insurer for this becuase UPS is so hard to deal with. Once again, they blame it on poor packaging. I blame it on some idiot setting another heavy box on one that is maked "fragile". Frustrating, huh?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any time I price shipping between UPS & FedEx; FedEx comes out so far ahead I wonder why I ever bother pricing UPS. They must give great discounts to big companies because otherwise I don't understand why anyone uses them. Even DHL replaced a 250$ product that arrived broken, no questions asked (and it only cost me 10$ to have the part that broke replaced).

Good luck being made whole on that. It just isn't right. A company that knowingly ships UPS given their track record really should have 3rd party shippers to bear the brunt of the cost of replacement.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com