30gal Reef Tank Lighting Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inakipl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a tall 30g reef tank measuring 21" with some nice corals I just got 2 weeks ago. I right now have a Aquatic Life 20" 2 bulb (1 white, 1 rose colored) lamp I beieve T5 but meant for freshwater.

I have been told I need a stronger light for corals.

What would be a good light to get that is not over $100 or how can I upgrade this current lamp? I am including a photo of my tank.

I was looking for a strong but cheaper LED light. Advice??

Also, I just recently had some brown algae grow on my sand. How do I get rid of it? I know it has to do with silica in the water I add. Thanks.

IMG_3466.jpg

But if you're looking for a cheaper but strong LED, search eBay for "120 watt dimmable LED". I just got mine in and it's not even above the tank yet and I love it. It ran me a whole $78.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But they are 36 watts of T5 over a 30 gallon tank.

True but they are just about 5" above surface. The LED may have high output but probably you only use 50% which is about 60 watts then you set it 18" above surface which will reduce your PAR even more. But if one is willing to spend some more instead of using what he's got then yes the LED would be nice.

OP asked about a cheaper LED option.. I don't see why this head butting continues.

Why would you set it 18" away from the tank? I don't think you could keep an anemone long term under a 2 lamp fixture. Definitely not sps.

Why would you set it 18" away from the tank? I don't think you could keep an anemone long term under a 2 lamp fixture. Definitely not sps.

I don't think the OP is ready yet for a more light demanding corals. If he is, then yes I recommend the LED. His tank is not ready though. He needs a skimmer and a power head as vital components.
Edit: And probably another 6 months at least before his tank matures and ready for an anemone.

I disagree on needing a skimmer for a 30 gallon tank. I suggest he buys once, instead of spending 30 bucks plus shipping on lamps, just to have to upgrade in a few anyway, as soon as he gets his feet wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would go with the panel mr_x recommended. Only reason being I don't like the color layout on the 165w one, I personally would rather sacrifice a few white LEDs for the reds and greens, not blues like the COB unit does. Jmo though.

Is there a difference between the full spectrum and the blue & white ones?

Not really, a little boost in certain spectrums with the FS, but those are all covered in the whites in the B&Ws. It's really a personal choice on the appearance to your eyes IMO.

Not really, a little boost in certain spectrums with the FS, but those are all covered in the whites in the B&Ws. It's really a personal choice on the appearance to your eyes IMO.

What would YOUR personal preference be, Red? If you don't mind me asking. :)

I personally like full spectrum, I feel it gives a little extra pop to some corals (reds mostly). But in general I like a very blue look to my tanks, definitely towards the 20k color, that's why I wouldn't sacrifice blue LEDs for the reds and greens. Most units will have those colors on the white channel anyway so it's usually not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom