320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of filter are you running on it? Just wondering. I may have missed it earlier in the thread.

Be ready to show picks of what you've got. I love looking at water treatment equipment haha. Always neat to see new life support systems out there.

I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to get a 250g at a discount... why can't you move it with you?
I'm moving to a small apartment or efficiency so I won't have the room for it. :(
Btw, how much was your tank and that sheet of aluminum? How many leds are you going to attach to it?

100ish 3 Ups?
lol i'm impatient and this intrigues me.

Fine... I'm having 45-55 LED dies each die has 20 1W diodes on it. The dies need good heat dispensation because all of the diodes are so close together. Hence the big @$$ heat-sink :D

Well this is me soldering the pipe to the aluminum plate (to fill in gaps and help with heat transfer) It's kinda messy but a little cleaning and it won't look too bad... plus it will be on the side nobody can see :D
img_1134164_0_b5a6dc09c085696dfba26d23568b5bc3.jpg

arghh wake me up when we're past the LED's...

Hopefully I can look back on this in years to come and understand what's going on :)

lol, I'm going to have to learn sooner than I thought...my 6g fluval edge's lights have...well I don't know what they did. They're halogen and have very thin connectors (?) and one quit working so I looked and it was just hanging by one of it's connector. I pulled it off and the one connector was broke off, still in the thingy (?). There was black soot all over it. Than a few days later the other one did the same thing.

I'm tearing down the tank until I have the time/energy/cash to rewire new lights. And it will be LEDs :) But I'm sure that I'll find something that I can just wire in there that way it won't be hard for me.

This is a cool acrylic top I saw on someone's set-up so I got some mesh from a guy in the states (if your watching this feel free to post a link to your thread).
I ordered my acrylic... and like my glass nobody wants to give me what I want (they say it's too hard/too much work/they can't do it cause it shatters at that width)... so I buy a saw and an 80 dollar blade and cut it myself (at 1/2" in width there was not even a chip). Then I put it all together.
The saw and the pieces I cut.
img_1134902_0_36d819772b9edd1f9d3fa91dd59edaf6.jpg

The first step is to make the bottom rectangle. If you notice the piece that I put on top of the box is the full width. Making the boxes staggered like that helps to avoid weak spots.
img_1134902_1_436e7d6120f062642acd011baf56b67c.jpg

Then you stretch the mesh on the one side and glue/clamp the top piece on.
img_1134902_2_8ac7f0e2add931e4c81c8a0ae2126d0d.jpg

Then you pull the mesh tight to the other side and stretch it width wise at the same time (difficult to do solo without the right tools).
img_1134902_3_1389947e9b8c2d1762cd19d894689052.jpg

The you do either side pulling it tight (you may get some mild warping) then put the tabs on to make sure it doesn't fall into your tank.
img_1134902_4_aa04e9242981bf70ad026d0299f9db1c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom