Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
Sounds good. I watched your video and made some the exact same way. We will see if they come out ok.
as I said afterwords I should have used 1.5 parts portland cement just to give it more strength... we will see how strong they are after a month in the cold ocean... pulling them out on the 11th

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
GM, I made DIY rock like you did and my tank is 2.5yrs and going good. No problems. You just got to watch the innial PH that's the only thing that can mess you up.
Sounds good and I'm glad to hear it's going good. I don't expect PH problems as they have been in soak but I'm still going to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone View Post
im in 4 sure!!!!
Welcome aboard glad to have to tagging along

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #202
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see it up and running!
I wish I had a place for a tank that big. I actually bought a custom 8 foot long 250g tank about a year and a half ago but never got to set it up. It's now sitting in my backyard collecting dust and have to get rid of it because I'm moving in less then 2 months.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see it up and running!
I wish I had a place for a tank that big. I actually bought a custom 8 foot long 250g tank about a year and a half ago but never got to set it up. It's now sitting in my backyard collecting dust and have to get rid of it because I'm moving in less then 2 months.
I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to get a 250g at a discount... why can't you move it with you?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered my LED's and my Aluminum slab today.. expect to get the LED's by mid August and have my heat-sink ready by then.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ummm, I'm going to try to do a lot of DIY on my build (skimmer excluded) but when I try to read up on how you guys are building your LED's and programing them...I fall asleep mid-thread Literally!

So DIY LED's are out for me.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
ummm, I'm going to try to do a lot of DIY on my build (skimmer excluded) but when I try to read up on how you guys are building your LED's and programing them...I fall asleep mid-thread Literally!

So DIY LED's are out for me.
I'm not programing my LED's I'm just wiring it into 9 circuits and will have each one on it's own timer...
Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

How do you dry the crushed oyster after the rinse? it is taking forever. Do you think I could put the rock in a creek around here to cure, leach out the pH?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
How do you dry the crushed oyster after the rinse? it is taking forever. Do you think I could put the rock in a creek around here to cure, leach out the pH?
I didn't dry the oyster shell out... I just drained most of the water out, that's why I didn't label water volumes... you are going to add water to it to make the cement anyways. You could put it in the creek I would have done that if I didn't have an ocean near by. If you have a SW tank already set-up you might want to put the SW from the water changes into a container to soak the rock for an extra week in SW just to make sure it's good. Not all rock will cure at the same rate so always test before the rock is introduced to fish.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is my rinsed stuff for the molding that is taking forever. I have it all in a baby pool and there is prob an inch of water in the bottom. I guess today I will see if I can drain some out. Im just worried about the water in it getting to my oyster/cement mixture./ect when I put it in the mold.

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com