Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
oh
There are lots of things people don't know and if you don't ask you may never know.
Or as one of my teachers would say, "The only one who remains ignorant is the one who doesn't know and doesn't ask."

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #223
Aquarium Advice Addict

So your going to run water through the copper? Will the LEDs be on the acrylic? Or will the LEDs be on the aluminum then the copper?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #224
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
So your going to run water through the copper? Will the LEDs be on the acrylic? Or will the LEDs be on the aluminum then the copper?
Yes I will have water being pumped in a closed loop system to dissipate the heat outside of the house.
The LED's will be on the underside of that plate and the plate will be hanging from the ceiling.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I was thinking (always trouble when I do that) solder is a pretty good conductor of heat... and it's a lot cheaper then thermal compound I'll just solder the pipe to the aluminum... so I attach all my pipe to the aluminum and all the corners, so I have a nice long single line... I start to solder and I solder the elbow to the small connecting piece then to the other elbow... seems a little difficult but I figure it's just cause I haven't done it in a very long time... then I try to solder the elbow to the long line... not happening... I keep trying anyways... after about 5 min of going "What the heck!" I figure it out... (most people know that to solder you need both pieces to be hot enough to melt the solder so it can "stick") Well it turns out that my aluminum heat sink works well with no solder or thermal paste as it wont let the pipe attached to it heat up enough to solder it. Now I'm going to have to take all the pipe off and solder it before re-attaching it. What a pain. oh ya and there will be no soldering the pipe to the aluminum. (live and learn... darn heat-sink works too well.)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #226
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and copper doesn't solder for some reason in my experience. I tried soldering copper coated wire to a piece of steel. It just wouldn't go. I had to sand paper the copper off.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #227
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Oh and copper doesn't solder for some reason in my experience. I tried soldering copper coated wire to a piece of steel. It just wouldn't go. I had to sand paper the copper off.
How do you think they connect copper pipe? I just couldn't get one part hot enough... Got a hotter gas and now it's done Tomorrow I pressure test the pipe and I try to fill in the gaps of aluminum and copper with solder.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #228
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
Amazing Thread, keep up the good work
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonomakid View Post
Amazing Thread, keep up the good work
Thanks welcome aboard
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #230
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
How do you think they connect copper pipe? I just couldn't get one part hot enough... Got a hotter gas and now it's done Tomorrow I pressure test the pipe and I try to fill in the gaps of aluminum and copper with solder.

Must have been something odd. Perhaps roughing up the wire helped to melt bits easier.

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com