320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to say I told you so, but this is what I said back on 4-29-10.
Good luck with this project. ....... You are heading for disaster.
No matter how hard you try, some things can not be changed.
I think it's safe to say your experiment failed before it even started.
Umm... you quoted yourself out of context... I haven't even established the tanks biological part of the system yet...
Good luck with this project. Looks like you have the construction part down, but PLEASE, work on the tank's biological part. You are heading for disaster.
Click THIS LINK to see his original post.
I would say it took me longer to get started... not that it failed...

I have to agree... the homemade rock just isn't done doing what it does. There is ALOT of rock in there.

I think it needs a longer bath in the ocean for a few months.

Keep on trucking, just remember you will have lives in your hands.

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely."
~ Henry Ford

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
~ Thomas Alva Edison

"All my successes have been built on my failures."
~ Benjamin Disraeli

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."
~ Sir Winston Churchill

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

If it weren't for experimenting we wouldn't know how good a skimmer is for our tanks or that some lighting is better than others or how a reef tank will suck all the money from your pockets and leave you wanting more.

So the tank is almost empty again... did it a day early... water was at 8.0 will fill it again and wait another week.

Can you ballpark it? I'm asking because I know most people who have a tank wish they could have 1 even bigger (and possibly build it, such as myself) so I'm curious where you're at. If it's an offensive question then don't worry about it.

The tank was $4,500.00 and the rest you can price out yourself... It's not that I'm offended it's just I didn't keep track and don't feel like doing the research to add it all up... Maybe another $3,500 I'm not sure.... The ballpark, not an arm and a leg... just my right knee (what I got paid for it by the insurance company)

I realize that this a kinda of old thread but I would love to hear about any updates. I'm thinking of putting a 125 gallon tank in (after I do a 55 gallon) but I am concerned about the affect on the house. I've google'd the weights, but I would love to hear from people that have had personal experiences. I already know that the 125 isn't going upstairs. But since this is my first home that I have owned, I wondering if there are some things that I should know that I don't already know?

Thread may have started a while ago but it's still active... I would suggest putting a large tank next to a load barring wall (usually an outside wall) I would also suggest that you put it so that it hits as many floor joists as possible (if your joists run north south then I would put the tank on the north or south outside wall a 125g with a 100g sump is around 2000lbs my tank/setup is around 6000lbs, mine goes directly on a solid foundation.

Hey, I finally have time to comment! That is one massive tank and I love it! I really am sorry about your issues, though...that epically blows. I'd love to keep updated, though, when things start moving forward again (and hopefully they do move forward, as opposed to backwards.)

I'm in the early planning stages of a 58 (Oceanic) Reef tank, and I'd love input if you ever have time to give some advice, or anyone else does.

Good luck and best of wishes. Keep on truckin'!

-Kyle

Very coo. I have a 130. In a couple of years I'm going to get a 200 or 250. Can't wait to see it all finished and full.

What is happening with this massive tank? Any updates? How far along as it come?

Yes I have a 120gallon with 55 gallon sump, it is up against a wall as well. You want your aquarium to cover as many support beams as possible. Mine is sitting on 3.

This week the water is down to 8.0 I did a full change and I'll wait two weeks now to see if it stabilizes.
this is a nice tank and all. but i hope you do something to make that stand look nicer.
Lucky you... you won't have to see it again. Photos will be posted when something of importance happens. Till then you are safe to view this thread without the worry of seeing my stand isn't up to your specs. :D

This week the water is down to 8.0 I did a full change and I'll wait two weeks now to see if it stabilizes.

Lucky you... you won't have to see it again. Photos will be posted when something of importance happens. Till then you are safe to view this thread without the worry of seeing my stand isn't up to your specs. :D

no i was just saying. it would be a shame to keep such an amazing tank on such a bare stand

Back
Top Bottom