Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #261
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I second Sweet What is your mesh made of, fiberglass?

Edit: Also, what thinkness acrylic so that it doesn't want to bow with strips that narrow?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #262
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
I second Sweet What is your mesh made of, fiberglass?

Edit: Also, what thinkness acrylic so that it doesn't want to bow with strips that narrow?
The mesh is made of some kind of plastic... it's clear. The acrylic is 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide... and there is a slight bow in it... partially because I don't have a big flat table that I can square everything up before clamping. If I was making a smaller lid then the 1/4" would have been perfect but if I had to start over I would have gone with some slightly thicker stuff.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #263
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it's large enough to sit on your tank's frame, I guess some bow won't matter. I was trying to think of something that wouldn't bow but unless it's metal, give anything length, it will start to bow at some point.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
If it's large enough to sit on your tank's frame, I guess some bow won't matter. I was trying to think of something that wouldn't bow but unless it's metal, give anything length, it will start to bow at some point.
Even metal will bow at some point... they just make the shapes of the metal to resist bowing. If I had gone 1" width it would have helped too but I didn't want that much more space being covered. There is about 1/4" bowing in the center of the 3' piece... and it's only bowing because I pulled it tight if I had let it be lose there would have been ripples in the mesh but the sides would have been strait. I could also put a brace in the middle but I don't care about the 1/4" gap on the sides.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #265
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right it's just a net to keep the jumpers in.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice job. A note of caution. On my first netted, I made the mistake of having the lights to close to the netting and within 4 months time the netting got brittle and started to flake off.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice Regular

nice project. looking forward to the end result.

Adam
Silent Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Nice job. A note of caution. On my first netted, I made the mistake of having the lights to close to the netting and within 4 months time the netting got brittle and started to flake off.
Thanks for the note. I'm not sure if this netting would be okay under MH and I'm not sure I would use it if that's what I had. I'm hoping that it will be okay under my LED's... but the brittle sounds more like UV damage then heat so I will have to wait and see. Thanks again for your impute. You have lots of knowledge and experience, that is an asset and I am lucky to have you watching out for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night View Post
nice project. looking forward to the end result.
Welcome aboard and welcome to AA. I hope that you don't mind waiting cause the "end result" is a long way off... but water should be in by the end of the summer
Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, but TC is also the one with all the weird livestock
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's the water...I use "test Strips"!!!

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com