Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #321
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a small point...Do intend to fasten the rocks together...ie: super glue or quick zip ties or something to that nature? The reason I ask is that those rocks are stacked pretty high and I would hate for them to fall and crack your tank. You cannot believe the strength an Urchin has at going between rocks and knocking things over.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #322
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Just a small point...Do intend to fasten the rocks together...ie: super glue or quick zip ties or something to that nature? The reason I ask is that those rocks are stacked pretty high and I would hate for them to fall and crack your tank. You cannot believe the strength an Urchin has at going between rocks and knocking things over.
I plan on attaching some of them... the smaller ones that are not completely stable. I plan on using liquid acrylic... drys fast, cures fast, is reef safe and holds surface to surface... so if I have to I can take them apart(damaging the rock slightly to separate).

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #323
AA Team Emeritus

That reef putty epoxy stuff works well too. Not too hard to pull apart if you ever need to.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #324
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's great GM, I would hate for you to have a landslide after all that work. Also be sure to take the rock all the way down to the bottom of the tank before you add any sand. Gobies and psudochromis like to dig.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #325
Aquarium Advice Addict

YAY!!! I finally got my hole saw... I will be putting the tank on the stand on Saturday

Here are the holes I cut... took about 5-10 minutes each... A little fast I think that's why the glass got chipped...

The hole I cut next to my 3 overflow holes.

The hole on the far side of the tank

Both holes will be for the line in. I hope that the build will start to finally come together once the tank is on the stand.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #326
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks great! Minor chips won't show outside of the bulkheads, so no worries.

I agree, putting the tank on the stand is one of those milestones that reminds you that you're making progress in a process as long and drawn out as yours is, lol.

Can't wait to see more updates!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #327
AA Team Emeritus

Put some silicone or something in and around that chip. One wrench turn too much on that bulkhead and you will go from a chip to a crack really fast. Trust me.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Put some silicone or something in and around that chip. One wrench turn too much on that bulkhead and you will go from a chip to a crack really fast. Trust me.
I was going to do that just to make sure it seals properly. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #329
Aquarium Advice Addict

YAY! I had 9 people come over today and help me to put my tank on the stand and move it into place we also had 2 beam lifters to get the tank to the proper height so we didn't kill anyone or brake anything (then I would have been killing people...) so the tank is in place and I spent about 2 hours putting the rock in place, the sand and I also put 10" of water in the tank to help me to get the sand into the crevices (it didn't work too well though cause now I can't see where the sand needs to go oh well)
I would have taken some pictures but my batteries died... will post pics tomorrow though (I hope).
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #330
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't wait

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com