Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #361
Aquarium Advice Freak

is tank envy a verifiable condition? i reckon i may have mentioned it before, but dang, those pictures are insane!!
btw, lol at the audio on the rock build

Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Howdy,

Have just begun reading your journal and have noticed you mentioned you are going to have 126 fish in the tank. This seems a little excessive and will no doubt lead to some water chemistry problems.

What fish are in this 126 and what will you be doing to reduce the problems that will be associated with this?

Wouldn't be too much of a problem if say there were 126 Apogon Leptacanthus but I'm sure it won't be stocked with 126 of them.

I will continue reading and may answer my questions by then.

I only ask because I have just over 40 fish in my tank and is a 700 gallon system.

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #363
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
At least he found a place to sleep.
How big (gallons) is your refug?
The couch is quite comfortable... or it was when it had the cushions..
The refuge is 110 I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahh View Post
is tank envy a verifiable condition? i reckon i may have mentioned it before, but dang, those pictures are insane!!
btw, lol at the audio on the rock build
I'm glad you like it and I will try to update pictures frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesTheEel View Post
Howdy,
Have just begun reading your journal and have noticed you mentioned you are going to have 126 fish in the tank. This seems a little excessive and will no doubt lead to some water chemistry problems.

What fish are in this 126 and what will you be doing to reduce the problems that will be associated with this?

Wouldn't be too much of a problem if say there were 126 Apogon Leptacanthus but I'm sure it won't be stocked with 126 of them.

I will continue reading and may answer my questions by then.

I only ask because I have just over 40 fish in my tank and is a 700 gallon system.
Welcome aboard, I'm glad to have you tagging along and it would be nice to have input from someone with a larger system then me who has experience.
As I stated this is an experiment and I will be adding fish slowly and stop/remove some if I find the chemistry is getting out of balance.
My biggest reducer is going to be macro/micro algae and bacteria.
It's funny you say that fish because I plan on having 10 of those... a nice size that will hopefully stick together... most of my fish will be small and schooling/shoaling... that's they style of tank I'm looking for anyways...
As for overcrowding witch you didn't ask about. I went tall so I could have 3 separate zones in my tank, the top of the reef, the cliff hangers, and the bottom dwellers.
The first thing I am adding is cardinals followed by Anthias followed by Chromis.
I hope that answers your questions... if you have more I'm only about 5min -50 hours away
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my experience, not having owned them but knowing a few reefers locally who have leptacanthus, the bigger the tank, the less chance of that "Schooling/Shoaling" effect. I have witness 10 in a 4x2x2 that stay quite tight knit. Also a 8x3x2 that has 12 of the little suckers and they have separated.

So the bigger the tank, the larger group needed IMO.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesTheEel View Post
In my experience, not having owned them but knowing a few reefers locally who have leptacanthus, the bigger the tank, the less chance of that "Schooling/Shoaling" effect. I have witness 10 in a 4x2x2 that stay quite tight knit. Also a 8x3x2 that has 12 of the little suckers and they have separated.

So the bigger the tank, the larger group needed IMO.
Thanks... The person with the 8x3x2 did they add all 12 at once from the same batch or did they take more then one day to add them?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #366
Aquarium Advice Addict

All from the same batch mate.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #367
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well one more major step along the way... Plumbing is 90% complete... I just have to wait for the nozzles to show up for final completion. But in my mind the plumbing is done... and if I had to I could do run it without the nozzles. Now less than 2 weeks till I can start my cycle ... and if the parameters are right I will add fish on September 6th.

Anyways an update isn't an update without pics...
Looking at it from the outside.

Looking at it from the inside

A slightly closer look at the refuge.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #368
Aquarium Advice Regular

Woohoo! Looks awesome! Although, the design of your sump seems odd to me. Did I miss something along the way that said if it/why it wouldn't be like a traditional sump?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict

opps... sorry I should call it a refuge... *edit hehe.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #370
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks very nice, whats supporting the pipes? They're gonna get heavier full of water.

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com