320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yellow coris or red coris. I've read the yellow are more reef safe. Mine hasn't bugged anything yet. Then again he's still pretty small.

Ours is red, we've had him for years and he has most of his adult colorings. I don't think I could trust him with a shrimp, he does seem to leave the hermit crabs alone though.

Greenmaster: Do you think the red coris wrasse would bother a cleaner wrasse? We also have a six line wrasse in the tank.

I think the Red Coris Wrasse should be okay, but if you six line is a grouch then it could bother the cleaner... keep your six line well fed and you should be fine.
The worry about the red coris isn't that it will chase the cleaner... just that if the cleaner can fit in its mouth it will probably end up there... That's kinda the fish rule, even herbivores have been known to eat a fish if it is small enough to fit in it's mouth. But the coris will most likely not chase the cleaner.

Last edited:
I think the Red Coris Wrasse should be okay, but if you six line is a grouch then it could bother the cleaner... keep your six line well fed and you should be fine.
The worry about the red coris isn't that it will chase the cleaner... just that if the cleaner can fit in its mouth it will probably end up there... That's kinda the fish rule, even herbivores have been known to eat a fish if it is small enough to fit in it's mouth. But the coris will most likely not chase the cleaner.

Okay perfect thanks! Our six line has been a model citizen so far so I think I'll try out a cleaner. Hope my LFS has one in!

Got the wrasse, our LFS had three, all of which were eating mysis and blood worms. The coris wrasse kinda nipped at him a bit but stopped right away, six line didn't bother him at all, coral beauty is giving him the odd nip, and our midas blenny really doesn't like him. The achilles however went right up to him and laid on his side to be cleaned, very cute!

I'm happy this was brought up in the thread, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

I have been on dive sites and have pictures of the orange bristle worms that were almost 6" long and almost an inch wide. The locals will tell you to steer clear of them as they can really cause you some hurt. I wear gloves when moving a lot of rock around for this reason.

I had a very large Lion Fish for many years. My understanding is that his spines would not kill you, but would make you wish you were dead. When diving on a really active reef, I always covered up because there were so many organisms that sting. No one wears gloves anymore when diving because it promoted touching things that shouldn't be touched, so you get pretty careful about what you grab.

Gregcoyote said:
I had a very large Lion Fish for many years. My understanding is that his spines would not kill you, but would make you wish you were dead. When diving on a really active reef, I always covered up because there were so many organisms that sting. No one wears gloves anymore when diving because it promoted touching things that shouldn't be touched, so you get pretty careful about what you grab.

Last time I dove, I went through a sunken ship and turned a corner and I was faced with several big lion fish. I left carefully and right above the ship was a barracuda. It's dangerous down there!

Wow, after almost 4 days of reading, I have finished this thread. Green, this is an astounding tank, you must be so proud. but I would LOVE to see another FTS

I haven't heard of anybody keeping barracuda. Now that would be a challenge. We use to have a tame one down in the islands. Snaggle Tooth was his name because he had one huge tooth that stuck out. He was about 4' long, a big one and loved to follow all the divers. Never bit anyone, but he could do zero to sixty in under a second. But we have rambled into the weird, yes Green has a spectacular tank happening.

I won't be getting any fish for a month or so...
My sister had a house fire and I'm giving my "fish money" for the next little while to her to help her get back on her feet.
I don't know if this is against the rules but if it is please delete this post.

David and Marion Preece had a house fire and lost almost everything. I hope that some how we can rebuild her life close to what it was before the fire. Although there are many things you can't replace, (photos, souvenirs, and sentimental items) they are in great need of normal every day things like a broom, underwear, and a couple pairs of shoes. It is hard to imagine what it would be like to have nothing except a little dept on some items that you no longer have.
If you wish to donate please log into PayPal and make a payment to marion.david@hotmail.ca
Even a couple dollars would help. Thanks.
img_1371813_0_a6058dee6c97d932d5b536a4cfb773ae.jpg

Last edited:
I won't be getting any fish for a month or so...
My sister had a house fire and I'm giving my "fish money" for the next little while to her to help her get back on her feet.
I don't know if this is against the rules but if it is please delete this post.

David and Marion Preece had a house fire and lost almost everything. I hope that some how we can rebuild her life close to what it was before the fire. Although there are many things you can't replace, (photos, souvenirs, and sentimental items) they are in great need of normal every day things like a broom, underwear, and a couple pairs of shoes. It is hard to imagine what it would be like to have nothing except a little dept on some items that you no longer have.
If you wish to donate please log into PayPal and make a payment to marion.david@homtail.ca
Even a couple dollars would help. Thanks.
img_1371820_0_a6058dee6c97d932d5b536a4cfb773ae.jpg

wow im so sorry to hear that

Back
Top Bottom