Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #381
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard mangrove trees growing in your sump or in a hang-on on the back of your tank will remove enough organic materials to make a skimmer useless. I haven't tried it yet, but if I start a tropical tank I will be using mangrove trees as a nutrient sink.

You can buy them pretty cheap, if you live near the water in florida you could probably go get your own.

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #382
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I haven't tried it yet, but if I start a tropical tank I will be using mangrove trees as a nutrient sink.
If you like the look of mangroves or just like keeping them they do help take some of the nutrients out of your system but macro algae will do the job much faster and easier. Because mangroves grow so slowly compared to cheato or calurpa (can't remember how to spell that) they just can't keep up in the nutrient export.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #383
AA Team Emeritus

+1 to that, I have seen efficient mangrove systems, but you need a small forest of them, and they need to be pruned pretty constantly and you can't let leaves fall off back into the water or they just leach out everything they soaked up.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #384
Aquarium Advice Addict

so if you decide to do a skimmer in the sump, will it just be the hang on style?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #385
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
+1 to that, I have seen efficient mangrove systems, but you need a small forest of them, and they need to be pruned pretty constantly and you can't let leaves fall off back into the water or they just leach out everything they soaked up.
I totally agree with jimbo. I had 12 mangroves in my sump and they are very slow to export any nitrates. You also have to prune constantly and also watch the roots or they will find the smallest imperfection in your tank and start a leak. I had the groves for a little over a year. I added "Ogo",red macro algae, and that did a much better job. You guys can add cheato and that is even better.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #386
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
so if you decide to do a skimmer in the sump, will it just be the hang on style?
It will either be an in sump... (I would add a 30g sump to the setup) or a stand alone, like StripesTheEel has with the 700g... but smaller
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #387
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where is all your stuff going Green? Under the tank? Another room?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #388
Aquarium Advice Addict

We will see what stuff I need... I have some space on the sides and behind...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #389
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Well one more major step along the way... Plumbing is 90% complete... I just have to wait for the nozzles to show up for final completion. But in my mind the plumbing is done... and if I had to I could do run it without the nozzles. Now less than 2 weeks till I can start my cycle ... and if the parameters are right I will add fish on September 6th.
my little boy Aidan Says "cool" that is his 4th birthday he says thanks for the present he can't wait to see the pics.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #390
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a quick question... what is the best "canary" in a coal mine, for a salt water reef tank?

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com