320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like aiptasia under your coral and towards the back. You are coming along nicely.

They hitchhiked in on a free coral, being a generous host Green fed the aiptasia some lemonade and they haven't been seen since.

Last edited:
Oh my God!! I get it now!!! Rofl...thanks for clearing it up, cuz I was seriously getting confused! I was like "corals like lemonade?! That's so quaint and 'Saturday Evening Post'-ish..." man, I'm an idiot! Haha

my cyno stage was terrible. Sadly I had/have a huge nitrate problems from DSB of crushed coral...i don't want to get into that... Eventually I ended up dosing red slime, and siphoning off the stuff that wasn't killed off. All clear now!

Awesome tank, Great job. I'm following to:popcorn::popcorn:, However, I am only up to page 68 of 79. I hope I get to 79 before it gets to 179. My eyes are buggy, as I've been reading for over 4 hours now LOL. Been fantastic reading and learning. Am going to stores about 140 miles one way tomorrow and back, Gonna bring home the rest of my rock. So need some sleep. Will read more tomorrow. Keep up the good work. Hope there are no more major issues. POST POST POST.....please:)

Don't feel bad, I only made to 38,lol! B E A utiful tank! I've been reading tonight,and got to say I'm very,very interested! I'm also on the long road to completing a 140r with 100 sump/fug. DEFINETLY got me thinkin,and like most of us, it hurts lol!

Between work and sick kids I haven't been able to put the time into monitoring and dosing the sodium silicate and since I want to do it properly I'll wait till I have the time and energy. On a side note I got quite the ich outbrake and have started a "Natural" ich treatment/experiment that I think will work. The experiment started on Tuesday afternoon and I have seen major reductions of ich on my tangs (may just be falling off to breed so we will wait and see on that one)... The flame wrasses still have a fair amount of ich on their front 1/4 (I think it's cause the shrimp are scared to get near their mouths) But overall I have seen a reduction. It will take 10 days before I will say if my experiment is being successful or not.

Ich is a pain. During my treatment cycle irecently lost my flasher wrasses. I did get rid of the ich tho. I had a school of 4 of them. I miss them.

Sqasnatch said:
Ich is a pain. During my treatment cycle irecently lost my flasher wrasses. I did get rid of the ich tho. I had a school of 4 of them. I miss them.

So the wrasses had ich or did something else kill them? I always heard wrasse hardly ever caught ich.

So the wrasses had ich or did something else kill them? I always heard wrasse hardly ever caught ich.
My wrasses are the ones that have it worst... my gobies and clownfish have none (they don't ever see the cleaner shrimp either) My tangs are almost clear. But my wrasses are having a harder time of getting rid of it.

I use to get ich every time I added a new fish. Over the past 10 years, I have seen none. I believe the ich issues can also be controlled by excellent water quality, healthy feeding and lots of filter feeders in the reef.

I noticed the Ich on my tangs Monday afternoon and proceeded to monitor my tank. I couldn't see Ich on any of my other fish. My tangs didn't stay still enough for me to get a good picture of them, mostly the Ich was on their fins and face. But two of the less dominant ones had Ich all over. I watched closely all afternoon until lights out. When all that was left was the blue LED's I saw more Ich. My wrasses were covered in it. I couldn't see the Ich under normal light but under the blues was a different story.
img_1407566_0_00c2e8f8f82322aadb04e7ebe04d826a.jpg

Adding to the saga of trials and "FUN"
Well something has happened that I wasn't expecting... I'm having massive Cyano die off and some type of green algae (that I have wanted to grow) has started growing. But today it was huge the amount of Cyano that was lifting off the rocks or just decomposing where it was. There is still lots there but I would say close to 20% is dead or dieing within just a couple days... I was not expecting this and I don't finish work till later tomorrow so I hope that there are no deaths while it goes through this transition. All of the die off of Cyano is creating an ammonia spike and it's at .5, Nitrites are at .3, and nitrates are at almost 0. I was not expecting the die off to happen so quickly so I don't have any bottled bacteria on hand to help to jump start the populations in the tank... I'll keep you updated over the next 2 days (I have Tuesday off so I'll post Tuesday night if not sooner)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom