Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #481
Aquarium Advice Freak

Simply Amazing!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #482
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Rushing it is what is making it take so long... I have to wait for the PH to stabilize
I know, I'm a bad influence and I accept that. :p

taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #483
Aquarium Advice Activist

Read through the build early on and then again today. Bummer that your investment hasn't provided any returns yet but its only a matter of time if you can hang in there. Its disappointing that the wait is due to the rock and PH issues. Do you know for sure that the PH will even drop to safe levels in the future? Would be a shame if you keep waiting and waiting for something that won't happen - or won't happen for a long long time.

Also was wondering if you have plans for a new sump tank (maybe I missed it). Do you plan on enclosing the stand to hide the sump? If not perhaps building a custom sump with a large refugeium towards the front would be an idea? I built my own acrylic sump tank (albeit only 40 gallons) with multiple chambers which was a fun experience - perhaps that would give you something to do while you wait for the PH?

Anyway, impressive undertaking - lots of courage for sure.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #484
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green, how are you handling the PH? Did you leave the rock intank or did you remove some or most of the rock. I know that when I did my rocks it seemed forever but the wait was worth it.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #485
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho-Tank View Post
Read through the build early on and then again today. Bummer that your investment hasn't provided any returns yet but its only a matter of time if you can hang in there. Its disappointing that the wait is due to the rock and PH issues. Do you know for sure that the PH will even drop to safe levels in the future? Would be a shame if you keep waiting and waiting for something that won't happen - or won't happen for a long long time.

Also was wondering if you have plans for a new sump tank (maybe I missed it). Do you plan on enclosing the stand to hide the sump? If not perhaps building a custom sump with a large refugeium towards the front would be an idea? I built my own acrylic sump tank (albeit only 40 gallons) with multiple chambers which was a fun experience - perhaps that would give you something to do while you wait for the PH?

Anyway, impressive undertaking - lots of courage for sure.
The PH is slowly dropping about .1 per week... so that's a while if it stays at .1... but because of the scale that PH is on the last couple .1's should be faster. It will happen it's just a matter of time. And I will wait it out.

For the sump I will be keeping the totes that I have for now, because my floor is not level and I don't have the clearance to build a small stand or level platform. Once I get things going I will be lighting my "sump" and turning into a refuge. While I wait for the PH I can catch up on some renovations and business paperwork... as well as spend a little time with my girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Green, how are you handling the PH? Did you leave the rock intank or did you remove some or most of the rock. I know that when I did my rocks it seemed forever but the wait was worth it.
I'm leaving it in the tank (many pieces can't be taken out with the tank on stand.) To lower the PH I'm adding acetic acid in a 5% solution. Once the PH is stabilized I will be doing a 98% water change. On a side note I have a small 15g FW tank with some neon tetras, 2 swordtails, and a pleco. So I am not completely fishless.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #486
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good show. You are almost there so keep the faith. When you reach your PH point please wait another week before adding any life to the tank. With your size tank you can get away with a couple of cheap Damels that could add a nice mix to your tank without any aggression problems that can happen with a smaller tank.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #487
Aquarium Advice Addict

I might add some Chromis first but that is the only kind of damsel I plan on putting in. Don't worry thincat I have lost my desire to rush... I was trying to get fish in and a stable tank for a local frag swap we just had... I was going to buy some nice SPS... now that is over and I see that time is now my friend instead of the enemy.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #488
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't wait to see it bloom. You'll have it in no time at all.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #489
Aquarium Advice Regular

hey green any updates?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #490
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doing some major water changes and going to test the water in a week.

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com