Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #491
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Epic build. Good luck and keep at it!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #492
Aquarium Advice Addict

How bout some pics? Can't wait to see how things are going.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #493
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
How bout some pics? Can't wait to see how things are going.
Nothing has changed since This Post!
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #494
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow how did i miss this thread!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #495
Aquarium Advice Freak

How are things coming along Green?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #496
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey, haven't had any activity here... how have you been? Any movement on the tank?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #497
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How far is the top of the tank from the ceiling? The pic of your helper shows the top, does that mean where glass ends? or how far lights are from ceiling? Looks like it might be hard to get into.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #498
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whew, just got through all ten pages. I should have + quoted as i went.

The LEDs are awesome. My LFS has two over a 20 and they have maxi carpet nems in it. There is a spray coating they make to protect the solders from salt.

Before the sump broke, there was sand in the return pump area. Bad Idea. Now with the three separate buckets you will only get flow through the bulkheads, which is OK. But fuges need good flow too. make sure a return and a drain cross the fuge. If you want plankton growth put the 6500Ks down there on a time opposite the tank light time. Ph may not have been just from the rocks.

Why not a coast to coast drain rather than the vertical one? with the bulkheads at the top, anything below the bulkhead is a waste. Then you could have done the bean animal style and had a measure of safety.

With the utmost respect, I think what I see is in your "experiment" you are testing the limits of what can be done rather than what has been found to work in most cases. for example the drilling of the side glass for the closed loop. if you were dead set on closed loop there is a very easy way to hang the outlets into the water on motorized elbows that randomize the output to avoid dead spots on such a large tank. Wavemakers, and programmable power heads would have been a huge improvement. the sun, my window only gets late afternoon light, and you can see the spots where the algae grows magnificently. in my 75 it is easy to trim and remove. this will be impossible in your tank. But I like the green and wavy background. the silicate sand? only time will tell. The lack of skimmer and the overstocking, again time will tell.

One last thing, a fellow reefer that made his own 800 gallon acrylic tank (Freaking Awesome) with DIY led's and such, also built a small room outside of his home for the sump and all the other equipment. if you were to put a shed outside, you would have a lot more room for the eventual calcium reactor, Kalk stirrer, phosban reactor, skimmer, algae srubber, etc. Of course being in the great white north, insulation would be a friend.

I hope your lack of posting is only because nothing is changing. but like I said above the Ph may not only be from the rock, of which, you could remove and throw back into the ocean. and start with a little natural LR which can go in the sump later.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #499
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well It's been a while... I had some troubles with PH so I was having to flush the system as often as I had time... I forgot the water was on at one point and it flooded my house... so I left the tank empty for a while. I have been waiting for an apex controller to come on sale, not having any luck there. I have also been really busy with family and work... also my car ended up getting totaled as well. Anyways... I'm working on the tank again. I filled it with fresh water last week PH got up to 8.2 I emptied it today and re-filled it. I will be doing it again next week until I get a stable PH. I will try to post here next week as well and answer any questions.
Poorguy2050: The tank is 10˝" from the ceiling. The lights are 3" from the ceiling and can slide 6" towards the back of the tank if needed. Currently as long as I don't gain any weight I can slide into the tank on my chest... I wouldn't say it's easy access but even when it was on the ground I still accessed the bottom of the tank with my stomach resting on the euro bracing... or climbed in... but with the rock in there I won't be climbing in.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #500
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I hate to say I told you so, but this is what I said back on 4-29-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Good luck with this project. ....... You are heading for disaster.
No matter how hard you try, some things can not be changed.
I think it's safe to say your experiment failed before it even started.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com