Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #521
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360º View Post
no i was just saying. it would be a shame to keep such an amazing tank on such a bare stand
Ya... let me put it this way... I work too much I'm in the middle of renovations on my house, and have two kids that I spend most of my free time with. I will probably put up crown molding and baseboards before I skin the stand. Currently I have a 1/4" piece of plywood across the front so it is kinda skinned... but doesn't look that great yet.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #522
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I got a new pump for my B-day and now I need some help figuring where to put it... I'll upload some photos of my tank and if someone would like to give me some ideas on how to set it up I'm all ears. I see two options for the source. Either I can do a closed loop (that would allow pulsing of the pump... like on 5 sec off 5 sec.) Or do it the same as my other two and just add a third return pump (that would increase turnover of the tank through the sump). The next question is where do I put the bulkhead... (in/out for the closed loop or just the return) I was thinking I would like it close to the bottom half of the tank considering that the other two are at the top of the water. Next question is do I put a flow accelerator on like I have already or do I put some kind of rotating/ switching nozzle on? If so what kind/brand do you think works well.

Full tank shot.

Left side, looking from front.

Right side, looking from front.

Left side looking from left to back.

Left side, looking to right side, looking across the front of the tank.

Right side, looking to left side, looking across the back.

The white and black 1/2" pipe that is inside the tank is only there for filling/emptying the tank while I sort out the pH issues, once that is done I will be removing those pipes.
Also the pump is a 950 GPH

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #523
Aquarium Advice Addict

Week one of a two week test... current PH is 7.9 if it stays at 8.0 or less till next week then I will fill with salt water, and test for three weeks... I may have one to two weeks with the tank empty, before the salt... if I decide to drill another hole or two...
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #524
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
How much salt will it take to get that to salinity by chance?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #525
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are you leaving the lights on at all times, or just when you are working on the tank or taking pictures?

Still love the rock work, by the way. It is definitely easier when you made it yourself!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #526
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
How much salt will it take to get that to salinity by chance?
About two and a half buckets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo1K9 View Post
Are you leaving the lights on at all times, or just when you are working on the tank or taking pictures?

Still love the rock work, by the way. It is definitely easier when you made it yourself!
I have only turned the lights on four times since my LED's got fried... once was to take those pictures twice to show people and once so I could count how many I still need to replace (because of being burnt out.).
Homemade rock is definitely easier to love... not so easy to set up... I'm definitely looking forward to the day that my pH is good... and it seems like that day is coming soon... hopefully next week... or within a month or two... I would like to be able to put some fish in there by my wife's birthday March 31st. Then I can buy a really expensive fish that I want, and buy it "for her", because it's a present she can't ask how much the fish was .
Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #527
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Then I can buy a really expensive fish that I want, and buy it "for her", because it's a present she can't ask how much the fish was .
Brilliance, but err on the side of caution with it. Don't want it to end up floating the next day.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #528
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I was saying I would like to have it going within two months but I might not be able too... I'm past the rushing stage...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #529
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could your PH problem be your lights? Its my understanding that it affects the PH when your lights are on. It causes it to go up because of the 02 being produced by the algea.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #530
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgearhead View Post
Could your PH problem be your lights? Its my understanding that it affects the PH when your lights are on. It causes it to go up because of the 02 being produced by the algea.
No... the problem is because of my homemade rock. It is still leaching lime (an ingredient in cement)

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com