Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #721
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They might try to pick off the parasite after it erupts thru the slime coat, but by then the damage has been done to the fish. I don't think they can help much...but better than nothing.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #722
Aquarium Advice Addict

... quoted from a mail order website. "The skunk cleaner shrimp is an extraordinarily versatile little shrimp that is perfect for most reef tanks, and also for many fish-only tanks without fish that pose a predatory risk to crustaceans. They are omnivorous scavengers, eating almost anything, but are most-well known for their symbiotic relationship with many fish. When a fish comes down with Ich or other types of skin problems, the fish will swim up next to the shrimp and patiently tread water while waiting for the shrimp to clean its body of parasites. For the shrimp's part, it is usually quite diligent and will pick dead skin and necrotic material off the fish, keeping it disease free. This is a fascinating behavior to watch, not to mention practical in a reef tank where Ich outbreaks can threaten fish, but most Ich medications will kill off corals. The cleaner shrimps will be less shy if kept in 2-3 member groups; they will establish their own "cleaner stations" on live rock and fish will know where to seek them when they require their services."

I enjoy watching the one I can see clean the fish.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #723
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
They might try to pick off the parasite after it erupts thru the slime coat, but by then the damage has been done to the fish. I don't think they can help much...but better than nothing.
Picking off the Ich and eating it before it can drop into the sand to multiply is a ton of help. Its not usually the first wave of Ich that kills the fish, it's the second/third/fourth waves... where a fish starts to get drained.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #724
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Wow, awesome!! I want video
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #725
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been trying before now but they seem to get camera shy. As soon as I get it I will post it. I may buy a few more so they can set-up as a group... I would like a "cleaning station"
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #726
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There is far less downside with cleaning shrimp and wrasses than any chemical solution. I have also heard that the number of filter feeders in the tank can have some effect?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #727
Aquarium Advice Freak

My powder blue tang had a couple good cases of ich didn't take long for the shrimp and the cleaner wrasse to have him all cleaned up. They seem to work great. It only took a few hours for the wrasse to start cleaning after he was added.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #728
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ich sucks!
But i agree that it is not the first wave of ich it is the second or third maybe even 4th wave. The ich drops off the fish and multiplies and swims around the tank looking for another fish to get on.

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #729
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
There is far less downside with cleaning shrimp and wrasses than any chemical solution. I have also heard that the number of filter feeders in the tank can have some effect?
Filter feeders would have some effect but I think you would need a ton in order for it to make any noticeable difference. (not sure on this one though)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #730
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, I didn't have any luck with the cleaner shrimp method, but having like 5 of them might work well. Hopefully it doesntcome to that for you. Ihavnt quarantined many fish myself. But when I get Tangs I will for now on, just to be safe. Goodluck

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com