Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #801
Aquarium Advice Addict

So after 10 days there is no sign of Ich... I believe that a combination of three things saved my fish and put the Ich into remission.

1. Lots of Skunk cleaners... I have six or seven Skunk cleaners in my tank and they service most of my fish well, some of them are very bold, jumping onto a fish in open water and cleaning a fair distance from their post. (I also have two Fire cleaners but they don't like to clean.)
2. I added Brine shrimp cysts to my tank... lots every day, I would say that there wasn't one cubic inch in the tank that didn't have hatched brine shrimp filtering the water. Also I don't have a skimmer, UV, or anything else that can kill/remove stuff from the water, so they stay in the water column. Brine shrimp may or may not filter the Ich out of the water, but I felt it may help so I tried.
3. I fed garlic in my food. Not a huge contributor but I feel like it could have made a difference.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #802
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's the first time I have heard of anyone using brine shrimp cysts. Did the cysts make a mess of things?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #803
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well im glad that its all gone with no fishy lose

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #804
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
That's the first time I have heard of anyone using brine shrimp cysts. Did the cysts make a mess of things?
Ya I came up with the idea myslef.... I'm not sure if the brine shrimp would eat them or not, but brine shrimp are filter feeders and they filter out usually phytoplankton but they do eat other things of similar size (eg. egg yolk, yeast, and bacteria). Phytoplankton ranges in size from 50µm to several feet in size. Ich in the Theront stage are between 40-69µm. I'm hoping that the brine shrimp will filter out and eat the Theronts thus braking the Ich cycle. If this works or not or even had any effect is unknown... the only way to do it would be to experiment with them and do several studies. But I know that if I ever get Ich again, I will be "saturating" the water with brine shrimp.

If you get a good hatch rate the cysts hatch and then swim in the water column until they get eaten or die from starvation or bad water parameters. They seem extremely sensitive, they Cyano die off causes 4-6 hour spikes before balancing out again and that tends to kill off most of the brine shrimp... I think.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #805
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Interesting. Well I will try it myself next time I get ich. I have tried to grow out brine shrimp like 4 times now. Not having any luck at all.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #806
Aquarium Advice Addict

I buy a big $20 can of them and then just add the cysts to the tank they hatch within 20 min to an hour (some take longer). But if you have a skimmer or UV or something like that it can/will, take out/kill your brine shrimp.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #807

Sea monkeys
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #808
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ
Sea monkeys
That's an expensive way to buy brine shrimp eggs! Who ever thought a brine shrimp looked like a monkey anyway?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #809
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sea Monkeys are an artificial breed. They are hybridized brine shrimp.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #810
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very easy to breed though. Just put a bag in a goldfish tank and feed cyclop eez hehe.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com