320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should put your phone in a clear zip-lock bag and see if you can take some underwater photos.

Finally here are some pictures of my DIY rocks

img_1113936_0_5fbe25131b3498cb0e15cf42843ca2e4.jpg

img_1113936_1_e4aec5bebe0bb205c6c6b7955b35a441.jpg

img_1113936_2_bb3fa1be17f5c592c67572b65048b18f.jpg

img_1113936_3_0a285bd795ee76946fa7cfe2b2ff2d1e.jpg

I like lots of hiding places... this isn't necessarily how I'm going to set it up in my tank. The size of the rock pile is approximately 2'6" wide, 2' deep, and 2' high.

Nice looking rock. I might have to try your mixture when I start my 90g or 125g build

I'm setting it up and I can't wait to see it either.... about 4 weeks left till my tank is ready to be picked up. :-D

Welcome aboard. djrusselljoseph My name is Joseph...

Ha!
It's actually my middle name, I just liked the sound of having my first and middle as my DJ name.
Thanks a bunch, I am so looking forward to this to see how everything comes together. The stand alone blew me away.

Cool. What lights are you using Green?
I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm thinking 2 400w MH with 3 20w LEDs and some LED moon lights. Once it is setup I may also add some blue spectrum to make the corals look better but I will wait and see on that one.

Ha!
It's actually my middle name, I just liked the sound of having my first and middle as my DJ name.
Thanks a bunch, I am so looking forward to this to see how everything comes together. The stand alone blew me away.

I can't wait to get the tank cause I'm sure that will blow you away even more.

In the interest of conserving money for the purchasing of inhabitants why not try lighting 'zones'? At one end have 2 400W 10,000K MH's for SPS, maybe a nem and then at the other have T5's for the lower light softies and LPS. Run the moonlight LEDs and throw in a few 18,000K T5's all the way along for colour. It'll save you a few hundred.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for light yet... I'm not sure I want to go that blue of a color... I really don't like the look of cano... Cano uses the blue/violet spectrum where as green algae uses the red I really want to have good growth of all my green algae types as food for my pods/fish. The more I look at my options the more I'm looking at going with LED lighting. Then I can have full spectrum lighting in the whole tank and "spotlight" where I want my corals to be with blue/violet LED's to help the colors of the coral... blue lights do help with the growth of the red/pink coraline algae though, so I'm kinda torn as to what I want to do... I'm still thinking full spectrum 6500k (similar to sun light) with some accents.

Generator. Great idea. (y) Hate to see several thousand go down the drain.

Good idea on the 6500Ks. I was gonna suggest it but it needs heavy supplementation because it is so stark. Maybe 2 MH's one 6500K and the other 10000K? Then 12000K further down? And keep going on 14000K etc. You could do it with 2ft tubes along the tank length. You could even build the MH end higher. The lower light plus the drop off makes it look very authentic to a true reef drop off.

Sorry. I get carried away wishing I could do this myself. :)

Generator. Great idea. (y) Hate to see several thousand go down the drain.

Good idea on the 6500Ks. I was gonna suggest it but it needs heavy supplementation because it is so stark. Maybe 2 MH's one 6500K and the other 10000K? Then 12000K further down? And keep going on 14000K etc. You could do it with 2ft tubes along the tank length. You could even build the MH end higher. The lower light plus the drop off makes it look very authentic to a true reef drop off.

Sorry. I get carried away wishing I could do this myself. :)

The tank is 39" tall so its gonna have the light fade a bit anyways as it reaches the bottom of the tank. I don't know, I'm continuing to go over ideas in my head. I understand the getting carried away... I'm waiting for my tank to show up and stuff so I'm getting over involved in other peoples builds :D .

Back
Top Bottom