320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh yes... Well I'm buying some nozzles that are supposed to greatly increase the flow of water. I'm putting them on my 2 pump/4 lines(each pump will split into 2 so it will be like 4 PH's)
I will see how my water flow is and I will adjust from there.

Get some water in that thing already
Patience young grasshopper... If I put water in now after just doing the silicone it will make the water toxic... and I won't be able to move the tank onto the stand / or if I put the tank on the stand first I won't be able to put my rocks in it... You have to wait... water will go in some time in august. (If everything goes perfect then maybe I can get it in by the end of the month... but I wouldn't hold your breath)

I saw on another thread that your little girl can't wait for the clownfish :) Everytime kids come to my house as soon as they see the tank it's a scream, "NEMO", and then it's a dash to press their little noses and hands up against the glass. I started keeping vinegar water and paper towels under the tank :)

I saw on another thread that your little girl can't wait for the clownfish :) Everytime kids come to my house as soon as they see the tank it's a scream, "NEMO", and then it's a dash to press their little noses and hands up against the glass. I started keeping vinegar water and paper towels under the tank :)

That's a good idea I'll keep some beside the refuge under the tank as well (once set up)

So I was going to drill 2 more holes in my tank today but I couldn't get the bit in the size I wanted... oh well... I ordered it online and it should be here in 2-3 weeks... that might set me back a bit...

Lol, I actually have been keeping vinegar water and paper towels near my tank for a long time. I've been using it a lot more recently with my saltwater tanks than I used to with my freshwater tanks.

Have you had good experience with corals on your DIY rock? I'm hearing about problems with others.

Have you had good experience with corals on your DIY rock? I'm hearing about problems with others.

This is my first time with corals and the DIY rock... can you point me to someone who had a problem... or a link to what the problem was?

Ya that's the one... I looked into it a bit... the rock looks nothing like mine... I believe that they were using perlite (not sure on that but that's what it looks/sounds like) and perlite is between 5-25% aluminum... some studies (garage scientists) have shown that aluminum is detrimental to corals. I use oyster shell (similar to coral in composition) as my main ingredient, it makes the rock heavier but safe for corals. (I hope) The cement (not ceramic like they used) I hope will be okay after having soaked in the ocean for a month. Keep watching to see what the results are... or just check back in about 2 years :D

I know someone on youtube who used somewhat of the same method for his base rock, and his tank is doing pretty good.

As I was saying I believe they were not using reef safe materials. I believe that the materials that I used are reef safe (after soaking). Time will tell.

Sounds good. I watched your video and made some the exact same way. We will see if they come out ok.

GM, I made DIY rock like you did and my tank is 2.5yrs and going good. No problems. You just got to watch the innial PH that's the only thing that can mess you up.

Back
Top Bottom