320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used aluminum for the frame (home depot diy screen section) and instead of buying screen get bird netting and install it the same way you do the screen. I think I built the tops for my 55 for about $20.
That is what I did. I went one step further by putting refrigerator rubber gastet around the bottom of the frame so that the frame would not sit directly on the tank.
img_1135612_0_37250c3cace3c7a0fcabc3a2ae330473.jpg

img_1135612_1_8e740bf277f6b2d8a0d234204f78ddb3.jpg

img_1135612_2_24ba6c1da97f75606cfb6b0fa2e02fdb.jpg

I got my LED's today... That was crazy fast... anyways here they are. :D

90 20 watt Drivers
img_1135940_0_65618de3ea6a73fd9049cf354116b86e.jpg

90 20 watt LED's
img_1135940_1_cf818e07660fbd8229473e4e0ce2c5ac.jpg

A closeup of the LED's the top left is white the top right is blue and the bottom is warm white. If you look closely you can see the 20 individual dies on each chip.
img_1135940_2_21f2e96d3df0250ca9c87a15d3820b4a.jpg

That is what I did. I went one step further by putting refrigerator rubber gastet around the bottom of the frame so that the frame would not sit directly on the tank.

You have an acrylic tank is that just to prevent scratching? Mine is glass is there any other reason for the gasket?

You have an acrylic tank is that just to prevent scratching? Mine is glass is there any other reason for the gasket?

If you don't have it inlay like mine or have some type of hook or notch then it would help to keep it from moving when you bump it by accident and such.

Salt and aluminum just don't mix well, So I used the gasket to sort of islolate the two.

This is a diagram of how I plan on placing my lights on the aluminum sheet (I did it in paint... I know it sucks but it gets the point across). What do you guys think?
img_1136047_0_08cb70678bba0886f06e095811eadd41.jpg

Your drawings suck! take a course in paint if you are going to post it in public.
Nice going I am following along. Great!!!

Yawn...oh...sorry

actually very cool, still don't have a clue but really tryin'. TC is being too hard on you. Paint sucks to work with :)

Your drawings suck! take a course in paint if you are going to post it in public.
Nice going I am following along. Great!!!
When I asked "What do you guys think?" I was asking about the layout not my drawing in paint abilities... :razz:

Yawn...oh...sorry

actually very cool, still don't have a clue but really tryin'. TC is being too hard on you. Paint sucks to work with :)
Think of each of those squares each as a little light... the color you see represents the color of the bulb (dramatized so you can see the difference between the white and warm white).
TC is just being himself... I haven't been here very long and I already realize that he doesn't even take himself seriously all that much (except when he gets mad :bad-words:) :D You rock TC!

I think it would be wiser to avoid crossing the wires. It would make maintenance easier if one diode were to putter out. Just my 2cents. I understand you're trying to wire in a parallel but perhaps if you just used different colored wire for each color bulb things would be easier lol.

Where did you buy all this from? I want to see if there are any spec sheets or something on these. Pretty interesting looking.

Are these the dealxtreme ones?

Crepe has a good point, but I also understand where you're coming from with the placement. Don't want the columns of different light temperatures to really show in the tank, so his idea of using different colored wires makes perfect sense. Hope it looks awesome!

When I asked "What do you guys think?" I was asking about the layout not my drawing in paint abilities... :razz:

Think of each of those squares each as a little light... the color you see represents the color of the bulb (dramatized so you can see the difference between the white and warm white).
TC is just being himself... I haven't been here very long and I already realize that he doesn't even take himself seriously all that much (except when he gets mad :bad-words:) :D You rock TC!
You know me, it's late and I love to read your thread. I am excited for you and look forward to a beautiful tank. I use google sketch myself.
TC
T

Hurray google sketchup. I usually use autoCAD at work. Its an ancient version. Did you wire these yet? I read they dissipate MASSIVE heat so be careful.

I think it would be wiser to avoid crossing the wires. It would make maintenance easier if one diode were to putter out. Just my 2cents. I understand you're trying to wire in a parallel but perhaps if you just used different colored wire for each color bulb things would be easier lol.
The wires will not be crossed like that... it was just for illustration of the fact that those LED's will all be on the same controller. The order of the controller is also how I plan on having my lights turn on/off (5 min between each controller)

Where did you buy all this from? I want to see if there are any spec sheets or something on these. Pretty interesting looking.
Are these the dealxtreme ones?
I got them from e-bay... just type in a search for "20w LED" you will get a bunch of stuff...

Crepe has a good point, but I also understand where you're coming from with the placement. Don't want the columns of different light temperatures to really show in the tank, so his idea of using different colored wires makes perfect sense. Hope it looks awesome!
I plan on using different color/marked wires for them... worst case scenario, I have to take off and re-attach some LED's.

You know me, it's late and I love to read your thread. I am excited for you and look forward to a beautiful tank. I use google sketch myself.
TC
T
Never used it before I will give it a whirl.

Hurray google sketchup. I usually use autoCAD at work. Its an ancient version. Did you wire these yet? I read they dissipate MASSIVE heat so be careful.
They have not been wired yet... and did you see my large water cooled heat sink?

Looking great so far. How are you going to attach the leds to the heatsink(thermal wise), thermal paste or tape?

Back
Top Bottom