328ppm TDS vs. 004ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I just got my little handy dandy TDS meter, and got some tap water out of the kitchen sink and it read 328ppm of TDS. I then went out and got one if the gallon jugs that contains my RO/DI water, tested it and its reading 0.004ppm I'm assuming that this is pretty good indication that my RO/DI water filter is working pretty good.

My question is this. Now that I'm armed with this information, at what ppm with TDS should I change out my filters, carbon and resin? I'm currently running a RD-102 6 stage RO+DI unit from WaterGeneral Mfg.

Probably a personal preference question.

I normally change the membrane when RO TDS increases into the 7-9ppm range.

I change out the DI resin when the DI TDS reaches 3ppm. I run two DI stages so that the RO/DI output is always 0ppm. When the first DI stage TDS reaches 3ppm, I replace the DI resin, move the remaining DI stage up to the first DI stage spot and intall new DI resin in the 2nd DI stage.

Pre-sediment filters and carbon blocks can be changed out every 6 months (give or take depending on how much water they have filtered.

So are you saying its actually the DI that's got my TDS down? I thought it was a combination of all.

Example my TDS are at 004. So would they not drop by changing out the filters instead of the DI?

The RO membrane should ideally remove 98%+ of the tap water TDS (RO membrane performance will vary).

The DI removes what the RO membrane cannot.

The pre-sediment and carbon blocks usually have a negligible impact on TDS reduction. If by filters you mean these, then you would not get a reduction in TDS of RO/DI water if you changed out the filters.

You would get a reduction in RO TDS if you are replacing an old RO membrane with a new one.

As an example if the TDS of the tap water is 275ppm, it would be 275ppm or very near it after it passes through the pre-sediment and carbon blocks. After passing through an RO membrane with a 98% rejection rate the TDS of the RO water is reduced to about 5 or 6ppm. The DI stage reduces this to below 1ppm. (registering as a "0ppm" on most TDS meters that cannot detect levels lower than 1ppm but greater than 0ppm).

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

Back
Top Bottom