34 gal. build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MUCH needed update

some picture updates.

Stocklist:
1-staghorn hemit
assorted hermits
assorted snails
1-cowrie
1-tomatoe clown
1-two spot goby
1-clown goby(will be moved to my fluval spec pico)

corals:
massive toadstool leather
4-rics
2-zoa frags
1 mushroom
1- two headed torch (purple)
1- green headed torch
1 cabbage coral

Attachments

• 34 gallon 1.jpg
    34 gallon 1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 34 gallon 2.jpg
    34 gallon 2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 34 gallon 3.jpg
    34 gallon 3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 34 gallon 4.jpg
    34 gallon 4.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 176
That staghorn is HUGE!

I'll be looking out for the pico build, I assume the spec was the one you were thinking of in that thread a while back?

Also, how's the clown doing? I know they can be finicky eaters, and sometimes not eat at all

yea he is lol hes very cool and his shell seems to be thriving. yes that was what I was looking for. The clown isa phenomenal eater, he eats any and everything lol

been way too long since ive posted on here. The tank has changed alot. rock structure is different and I now have 78 watts of T5 HO over it as well.

Stocklist:

Fish:
-Tomato clown
-Red scooter dragonet
-Green clown Goby

Corals:
-Toadstool leather
-assorted rics
-GSP
-Galaxea
-Mushrooms
-Branching frogspawn
-Torch
-Bubble
-Zoas

Inverts:
-feather duster
-assorted hermits
-assorted snails
-Cowrie

I was wondering what SPS I can keep under my lighting? (96 watts of PC and 78 watts of T5 HO both with reflectors)

Few random shots.

img_1472962_0_764a6bc32cb86aef26ee7b6aeb8fac76.jpg

img_1472962_1_340ca2ab4c8c0ab4e0745cc59d58bac1.jpg

img_1472962_2_470d59ec16945a28a38c3d8b563bd198.jpg

img_1472962_3_8dd031e9fe4fd212575d065040e4e449.jpg

img_1472962_4_bafdbf031e36f3853b1d2ff5f6278a31.jpg

thanks! it has grown quite a bit since my lighting upgrade. So I have the start of a hair algae problem. I dont feed everyday and my lighting is about hours so I cant cut it much do to my corals. i have a emerald crab but he doesnt seem to help much, I also have three astrea snails and hemits. what snails/inverts can I add to help with the problem?

First, do you have an efficient protein skimmer in place? You have too many available nutrients in the water. Adding snails won't cure the problem, you need to get the water stripped of the nutrients. If the protein skimmer doesn't help, try adding some contained media like Polysorb. Remove the algae if possible, critters eating it just recycles it and back it grows.

Will be adding the hydor slim skim within a week. I've upgraded finally to 156 watts of HO T5, its the solarmax 4 bulb fixture with built in timers and LED displays. I'm very happy with it. Just to clarify, can I now keep and corals/clams I want?

purchased a hydor slim skim nano for this tank and it will here today. this will be my first skimmer and its rated to 35 gallons so I just fit under that. also I dont have a sump so the internal design is perfect. I hope it actually helps with water quality, ive heard good things

ive heard only good things but i definitely will. Only problem is that ive never used a skimmer so i dont know what to compare it too or what to look for. how do i know if its "good". what size is your new tank carey?

I'm working on the 20g rimless now. It was either the one you picked, a remora or a tunze. I;m still waiting for a good deal on ebay or locally but I;d love to now how much it pulls out of your water.

In my 55g which is kinda empty my remora still pulls some black liquid, just not very much since theres not anything in it but inverts, which i still feed.

In my 125g the skimmer pulls out some really thick nasty black goo water that literally smells worse than death. Once it breaks in and you get it adjusted it should be pulling out murky goo. BUT it also will only pull orgaincs from your tank so if you dont have much it won't seem to be working. lol

You can adjust the level of the foam to produce a wet skim or a dry skim. It takes a while to get adjusted, but the resultant juice you get out of it is better in the sewer than staying in the tank! For small tanks, I would suggest a dry skim to reduce water loss, for larger tanks I use a slightly wetter skim. I think the biggest advantage is you can now feed your fish and corals more without as much worry of organic buildup.

so some of you prob saw my other thread but I did recieve the skimmer today. I have to say it is absolutely silentt which is awesome and it does skim well, It has already removed alot of yellow liquid. Now if i can get the micro bubbles to stop, id be ecstatic. I was told by carey it needs to "break-in" tho so ill give it some time

many new frags and the old ones have filled out great! won an sps raffle at the new jersey reefers swap. pics later

Back
Top Bottom