34 gal. build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I just upgraded from a 14 gallon biocube(which im still keeping) to a 34 gallon long. So far i have the salinity at 1.021, about 20 lbs of sand(more to come tmm) and about 20 pounds of live rock to start with. lighting is a 96 W Curent USA light, got it relly cheap and it has one white led light as a moonlight. Heres are some pics from the fill, first three are of the lights on ad the last is th single moonlight.

How many fish can i support in this tank? ill be running both a mechanical HOB filter as well as at least 4o lbs of rock before i have fish and i have a modded fuge in the filter

Attachments

• 34 gallon 001.jpg
    34 gallon 001.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 34 gallon 003.jpg
    34 gallon 003.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 34 gallon 002.jpg
    34 gallon 002.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 34 gallon 004.jpg
    34 gallon 004.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 286
you and me both! what can i grow with 96w up top? its only 17 in deep. also can anyone answer my stocking question in first post? thanks guys!

have a powerhead or a hang on filter pump? Those will help it clear faster. Anxious to see it, congrats man

Yup, I got two hob filters on there now until the cycle clears, then ill just have one small one since most filtration is from the rock. What size powerhead should I get for this tank? I use the koralia brand

Can't help with with stocking with just providing you a number of fish you can put in there. Depends on the sizes of your choices. Could be 4. Could be 8. Could be 10. Gotta be able to do those that swim out front. Maybe some that perch on rocks and don't demand space to swim. Maybe 1 or 2 that stay at the bottom near the rocks.

Lots of variables to answer your question.

well i was thinking a type of dwarf angel maybe a flame?(i know their coral picking risk), ORA mandarin or some type of goby, 2 bangai cardinals, royal gramma and maybe one more open swimming fish(suggestions?)

The royal gramma might be a problem if you wanna keep a mandarin. Although the gramma is considered peaceful and reef safe, it'll hang out among the rocks where the mandarin also hangs out. There could be a territory problem there. Of course, you know the mandarin should not be added before 10-12 months since it needs a healthy pod population to survive.

Try this:

2 percula clowns (farm bred or raised)
1 shrimp goby of your choosing
1 pistol shrimp (make sure your rocks are touching the bottom glass)
1 small dwarf andel (good luck with the coral)
2 cleaner shrimp
5 snails
5 hermits
1 small serpent or brittle starfish

I'm still not sure about a mandarin is a smaller tank like yours. Not sure if there will be enuf rock work to keep him fed over a long period of time.

I appreciate your suggestion but I'm no longer a fan of pistols after my last one dug huge mounds of sand and made my tank look ugly. As for clowns, I have one in my biocube and that's enough for me. Ill replace them with the banggai and maybe try your list

flasher wrasse!

and a nice blenny would be a good rock dweller.

and whats with the cat thing in the last picture with the moonlight? LOL

anyway im jealous! i love long tanks!

and is the light T5 or PC?

EDIT: oh and this :popcorn:

Which tends to be more active? The wrasse or blenny? And HAHA LOL just realized that haha, no worries, its my catfish :p...its the reflection of my tv. As for the lights I believe PC but they have reflectors and I thought that was for T5? How can I tell? It was an out of box item, I just know its 96W + moonlight

Blennies are great fish with tons of personality. Depends on what kind as to how active they are. Most perch on rocks and swim about from time to time. Such as the algae, bi-color, midas blennies. The forktails are constantly swimming, When they rest or sleep, they hug the glass in the corner somewhere and chill - mostly after the lights out.

My favorite is the midas and the forktails (lots of fang blenies in that group).

Wrasses tend to jump out of the tank.

I would be terrified of adding a pistol. I have heard some horror stories. I would get two of the solid black and white clowns if I could do it again, 1 goby (bullets do a good job), flame or coral beauty angel, and another active fish (maybe a midas or canary blenny for some more color)

Try the canary or another of the smaller forktail versions. Just remember to never hold any of the fang varieties. NOt even through the net. They actually bite. It's their defense against larger fish who may try to eat them. They bite the inside of their mouth and usually get released.

I had both the canary (solid bright yellow) and a yellow tail fang. Both beautiful fish. fang blenny pictures - Bing Images

PC bulbs are like the ones in the biocubes, like a double tube but stuck together, T5s are single bulbs

but yeah the wrasse would definitely swim freely, while the blenny as stated usually perchs on rocks, though mine does come out at night and make his rounds through the tank.

The fangs don't perch. Just sleep or rest on the glass. They always swim. And really cool to watch'm hover and eyeball something. You gotta see it to understand. Also, they won't attack your hand and bite unless they are enclosed in your hand.

Back
Top Bottom