34 Gallon ANGLER TANK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was doing my initial research a year or so ago, I found quite a few similar stories on various reef forums. I came to unofficially name it SAD (sudden angler death). Many people experienced perceived healthy fish dying out of nowhere. Some guesses were, gluttony, where the food in the gut didn't fully digest and caused the fish to rot from inside out. Also, some anglers need help burping. If an angler swallows an air bubble, at times a person must intervene manually and rub / gently squeeze the fish and burp out the air bubble. Most people probably wouldn't be able / willing, but it does happen.

The final answer is that it had parasites. Sometimes hidden parasites can affect one fish, but as long as the other tank mates are healthy and have good immune systems, they won't be affected.

Good luck in the future with your next one. Still waiting for the right time for myself to acquire another.

Ugh. Nothing to update right now. Bought a few corals but still waiting to find another angler. They aren't easy to come by. And def not the larger ones. Everything I'm finding is under 2 inches.

Ok I got one. I bought the "tank mate" of the original yellow angler that I saw a while back. He is also yellow. Almost 3 inches. Thinking if a name. Either Stella or Fido. Lol.

Attachments

• image-1850664489.jpg
    image-1850664489.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4069901716.jpg
    image-4069901716.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 136
Here's pics with the light actually on. His side profile expression is funny. My friend at the pet store said he was due to eat today so ill try but he might not be settled enough.

Attachments

• image-1282332927.jpg
    image-1282332927.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image-444300061.jpg
    image-444300061.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image-464680009.jpg
    image-464680009.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 124
They look like vield chameleons crossed with a fish to me. Very cool looking.

image-122194315.jpg

What don't anglers get along with? and is that all thy need for special care is they must have a certain kind of diet?

They'll pretty much eat any fish or shrimp that will fit in their mouths. And if they go with bigger fish (which I won't do) they have to be peaceful or they'll pick on the angler. So he will stay by himself or with one more if I can find one.

So this darn fish still won't eat. I'm probably going to have to get live ghost shrimp tomorrow if he doesn't eat then. He "fishes" but won't lunge. He was eating silversides at the store so I know he's done it. He just won't do it for me. Any suggestions from any angler owners? The closest stores to me are at least 25 mins away and I'm not even sure they carry the shrimp. Looks like ill be making some calls tomorrow to find him some.

Mine ate frozen (thawed) silversides the first 3 or 4 times I tried and hasn't touched them since. I've had to get ghost shrimp. I'm going to have to research how to transition to frozen as well.

Finally got him to eat. It was a stupid process but it worked. I ended up having to drop a piece of fish on the opposite side of the tank so all the hermits and nassirus snails would not be in his face bothering him. Then I waited like 5 mins (til they were all over on the other side) and I dropped in a silverside and let it float towards him. Had to push it down once or twice but he swam up o snag it. I'm so happy! Lol I guess this will be my routine. But he needs to be in a good position in the tank to do this. Here he is all fat and happy!

Attachments

• image-713364182.jpg
    image-713364182.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 120
Finally got him to eat. It was a stupid process but it worked. I ended up having to drop a piece of fish on the opposite side of the tank so all the hermits and nassirus snails would not be in his face bothering him. Then I waited like 5 mins (til they were all over on the other side) and I dropped in a silverside and let it float towards him. Had to push it down once or twice but he swam up o snag it. I'm so happy! Lol I guess this will be my routine. But he needs to be in a good position in the tank to do this. Here he is all fat and happy!

Glad to hear he is eating..as always I know where to get a decent size red angler for 59 bucks in Queens NY ..last couple of weeks I been going there they had at least a dozen of them come and go thru there doors

I live way too far. But I'd love a red one as my second one. I need like 2.5-3 inches so he'll be the same size. Anyone wanna do door to door service? Lol

Back
Top Bottom