34 Gallon ANGLER TANK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a set of 8 moonlight LEDs but they don't do too much. The main light is a metal halide (HQI) and its 20,000k if I remember correctly. The fish store guy said the higher the k the bluer it is. I know nothing about lighting but I love how it looks and I know it's ok for the zoas and mushrooms that'll eventually be in there. I might go with a 14,000k next time so it's not as blue.

Do you have anything against LED's? I agree that it will knock the temp down by a few degrees. As far as fans I recommend computer fans. Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com are cheap websites or of course of you have a best buy near you that may work.

If I ever do a salwater tank, it's going to be a 40 breeder with an angler.... :) I think they are so amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have anything against LED's? I agree that it will knock the temp down by a few degrees. As far as fans I recommend computer fans. Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com are cheap websites or of course of you have a best buy near you that may work.

I have nothing against LEDs. My tank is a full setup that came with the metal halide. I'm not about to add on another $200-$300! Lol.

I have nothing against LEDs. My tank is a full setup that came with the metal halide. I'm not about to add on another $200-$300! Lol.

That's fair. Well Ive seen good success with computer fans. They are small, cheap, and can be built pretty easily onto anything. Might be worth your time looking into how you could mount one with your setup. On the flip side evaporative cooling will increase your evaporation so an ATO often helps. Lol. This hobby always seems to have more to do doesn't it ;)

Yeah I knew I'd have evolution issues with a nano but mines got a lid so I figured it wouldn't be as bad. But yup, throwing money into it every two seconds it seems! Lol

Okay so I've been testing my water every day and ammonia is still at zero. Haven't seen the increase yet. BUT I have brown algae on my rocks and sand bed which I'm guessing is diatoms? But I thought they came after the cycle. I know, again I sound like a noob but when I cycled my 75 I did it with fish and didn't know any better and kept adding ammonia reducer so my cycle was kinda blah. I'm getting more rock Thursday or Friday, not sure if I'm getting more live or just the real reef rock. I was thinking about adding the chromis too, but I'll probably wait. Could I have had a quick (1 week) cycle because I added the live rock and bacteria so soon? I'm not putting my angler in there for a while regardless.

Okay so I've been testing my water every day and ammonia is still at zero. Haven't seen the increase yet. BUT I have brown algae on my rocks and sand bed which I'm guessing is diatoms? But I thought they came after the cycle. I know, again I sound like a noob but when I cycled my 75 I did it with fish and didn't know any better and kept adding ammonia reducer so my cycle was kinda blah. I'm getting more rock Thursday or Friday, not sure if I'm getting more live or just the real reef rock. I was thinking about adding the chromis too, but I'll probably wait. Could I have had a quick (1 week) cycle because I added the live rock and bacteria so soon? I'm not putting my angler in there for a while regardless.

My tank had diatoms a week into the cycle. So I'm guessing it's normal?

Ok. So I'm probably wrong which is what I figured since I haven't seen the spike of ammonia and nitrates yet. The diatoms will disappear on their own right? I'm sure changing the flow will help too. One of my pumps seems to be working not so well so I need to look into that as well. This is going to be a long journey! Lol.

Ok. So I'm probably wrong which is what I figured since I haven't seen the spike of ammonia and nitrates yet. The diatoms will disappear on their own right? I'm sure changing the flow will help too. One of my pumps seems to be working not so well so I need to look into that as well. This is going to be a long journey! Lol.

They should. But increased flow can help. :) hey, I started my 55 with a 10 g hob filter and an aerator. You'll be fine! :) lol.

Have you tested for Nitrates it should be high if your cycled, get some pure ammonia put a few drops in, enough to show on your test then if it converts in 24 hrs you'll know if your cycled.

Nitrates are at zero. I'm wondering if its because im running my lights. I'm glad I am because that's how I found out about my temp issues. So I can nip that in the bud before adding my fish. That's this weekends project. I know you don't need to cycle with lights on and I didn't with my other tank. So maybe that's why the diatoms came later in the 75 gal.

Sounds like your close there should be some trace of nitrates though, id do the ammonia test just to be sure

Both ammonia and nitrates are zero. That's why im thinking the cycle hasn't even started yet? But I thought the bottled bacteria would kick start it? I think I'm more confused now then if I'd just done a raw shrimp cycle :/

The bottled Bacti needs an ammo source it's mostly nitrItes most times you'll get a bit of die off from the live rock and that will feed the bacti, put a pinch of fish food in the tank it will break down and act as a food source. I think your right in thinking your cycle hasn't started yet.

I've used ammonia and Dr Tim's one and only and have cycled tanks in 3 days (YRMV)

Added the mysis. Going to test again tonight and every night. Was thinking ahead though and wondering what kind of CUC I could have in with an angler. I'm sure I can have snails but I was wondering if I could have hermits. I'm scared hell eat them and not digest the shells. Anyone thats had an angler, what did you do for your CUC?

I've had plenty of hermits and snails - he never tried to eat them, also had nudibranch, Pom-Pom crabs, and porcelain crabs with no issue.

I would stay away from any shrimp, (fire/skunk/peppermint/sexy, etc), as they would be goners.

Back
Top Bottom