Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a set of 8 moonlight LEDs but they don't do too much. The main light is a metal halide (HQI) and its 20,000k if I remember correctly. The fish store guy said the higher the k the bluer it is. I know nothing about lighting but I love how it looks and I know it's ok for the zoas and mushrooms that'll eventually be in there. I might go with a 14,000k next time so it's not as blue.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have anything against LED's? I agree that it will knock the temp down by a few degrees. As far as fans I recommend computer fans. Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com are cheap websites or of course of you have a best buy near you that may work.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I ever do a salwater tank, it's going to be a 40 breeder with an angler.... I think they are so amazing.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love your rock! Looking good!

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
Do you have anything against LED's? I agree that it will knock the temp down by a few degrees. As far as fans I recommend computer fans. Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com are cheap websites or of course of you have a best buy near you that may work.
I have nothing against LEDs. My tank is a full setup that came with the metal halide. I'm not about to add on another $200-$300! Lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post

I have nothing against LEDs. My tank is a full setup that came with the metal halide. I'm not about to add on another $200-$300! Lol.
That's fair. Well Ive seen good success with computer fans. They are small, cheap, and can be built pretty easily onto anything. Might be worth your time looking into how you could mount one with your setup. On the flip side evaporative cooling will increase your evaporation so an ATO often helps. Lol. This hobby always seems to have more to do doesn't it
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I knew I'd have evolution issues with a nano but mines got a lid so I figured it wouldn't be as bad. But yup, throwing money into it every two seconds it seems! Lol
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not evolution, evaporation. Lol. Stupid iPhone autocorrect
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay so I've been testing my water every day and ammonia is still at zero. Haven't seen the increase yet. BUT I have brown algae on my rocks and sand bed which I'm guessing is diatoms? But I thought they came after the cycle. I know, again I sound like a noob but when I cycled my 75 I did it with fish and didn't know any better and kept adding ammonia reducer so my cycle was kinda blah. I'm getting more rock Thursday or Friday, not sure if I'm getting more live or just the real reef rock. I was thinking about adding the chromis too, but I'll probably wait. Could I have had a quick (1 week) cycle because I added the live rock and bacteria so soon? I'm not putting my angler in there for a while regardless.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
Okay so I've been testing my water every day and ammonia is still at zero. Haven't seen the increase yet. BUT I have brown algae on my rocks and sand bed which I'm guessing is diatoms? But I thought they came after the cycle. I know, again I sound like a noob but when I cycled my 75 I did it with fish and didn't know any better and kept adding ammonia reducer so my cycle was kinda blah. I'm getting more rock Thursday or Friday, not sure if I'm getting more live or just the real reef rock. I was thinking about adding the chromis too, but I'll probably wait. Could I have had a quick (1 week) cycle because I added the live rock and bacteria so soon? I'm not putting my angler in there for a while regardless.
My tank had diatoms a week into the cycle. So I'm guessing it's normal?

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com