34 Gallon ANGLER TANK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yay! I picked up my angler species only tank setup today! I got an Aquaeuro 34 gal nano complete setup, skimmer and all with HQI and LEDs. I'm super stoked! I'm using black live sand as well so when I'm finally ready for my little guy, I'm looking to get a bright one. (Though I know they change color) After cycling I plan on putting two chromis in to keep the cycle up until I find the perfect angler. If they get eaten (which they probably will) I'm fine with that. I plan on getting some rock work in soon as well. If anyone has any angler advice from personal experience, it would be greatly appreciated. I've done a ton of research but there's always new things to learn.

Obviously nothing much to look at yet. Lol. But here it is! Empty and then with moonlights.

Attachments

• image-4067225438.jpg
    image-4067225438.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 266
  • image-2428915180.jpg
    image-2428915180.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 273
Try a wartskin angler. I think they are the most interesting. no special care really, except for possibly having to eat nothing but live food, but you don't need the halide. Maybe you could put some corals in the tank along with the predators. Anglers don't bother corals. I would plumb your other tank to this one and use a common sump.

I was going to connect the tanks but I actually picked a spot on the other side of the house. So can't do that. As far as the tank I bought this one specifically for the lighting to have some corals. And I was leaning towards the wartskin but I might go for a red angler.... Still contemplating. But it looks like I'm headed the right direction hopefully! :) And I already picked up two kinds of feeding tools to hopefully train him on small silversides or something similar. I'm obviously jumping ahead with that but ill be extremely patient getting this tank running smoothly.

Obviously nothing much to look at yet. Lol. But here it is! Empty and then with moonlights.

My iPhone screen is cracked and I almost freaked out thinking it was your tank. :lol: my immediate thought was, uhh, she knows that won't hold water, right? Excited to see this tank progress!

I have a painted angler reef myself. One thing to consider if you are going to add corals is anglers need lower flow than a regular fish so some sps might not be possible but I am having good growth with a ponape birdsnest and a branching monti in my angler setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I'm getting my live rock probably Thursday. Just trying to decide what I want. I was thinking about going with the real reef rock because its purple and would probably look awesome with the black tank and black sand. But part of me really wants the chance at some cool hitch hikers so I'm still debating on getting regular live rock. None of the LFS have any really nice colored live rock though, and I don't want to order any because I'm a control freak and want to see the pieces first. Lol. What do you all use in your tank? Anyone use the real reef rock? Or maybe I could do both live and real reef.... Suggestions? And should I cycle with table shrimp or the bacteria in a bottle? When I started my 75 gal I had no clue what I was doing. I cycled with the bottle and love rock and added 2 fish in a week. (Both still with us! Lol. And even worse one was a scooter blenny but he was eating mysis) So I've never really cycled properly. I sound like a noob! Lol.

As far as rock I think it's personal preference. Remember, over time live rock will grow coralline so the colors will come it just takes time. But I think you're right that the purple would look great. There is no down side to mixing types of rock other than for a while you will be able to tell the difference by how it looks.

seems like a cool build. I'm excited to see how it ends up.

I'm hoping to have a similar size tank set up for a wartskin angler in the near future and look forward to seeing yours progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably one of the coolest fish I owed,as far as advice they come with a hefty appetite,I use to feed mine goldfish

I just updated my thread. It's at the top (Currently of this forum). I had an Amazing White / Maroon Wartskin for about a year, before he passed away. You can read my thread about most of my experiences, and feel free to ask me anything.

My thread is Tim's BC Angler ....

I just updated my thread. It's at the top (Currently of this forum). I had an Amazing White / Maroon Wartskin for about a year, before he passed away. You can read my thread about most of my experiences, and feel free to ask me anything.

My thread is Tim's BC Angler ....

Thanks so much! So you don't have an angler anymore?

Thanks so much! So you don't have an angler anymore?

Unfortunately, mine passed a month or so ago. Still not 100%, but I strongly believe it was food poisoning. I was feeding live ghost shrimp at the time, and the three fish, Angler, Hawkfish, and damsel who ate the shrimp all died the next morning.

The other fish in the tank are all still alive.

Yeah I just saw your thread. I'm sorry. That's awful. You should get another one. Maybe a different kind like a red one or black. That really sucks.

So problem number 1 with this build... The halides throw off sooo much heat which I expected but even turning my heater off and lights off overnight the temp stays around 80 degrees. With lights on its 83. I know that's too high for the angler, and a chiller is around $200-300.... Any way I can avoid buying one? Anyone know of any good fans that can be attached to the sump possibly? The sump is attached to the tank in the back.

My biocube was the same way. 82-83 during the day, and 78-80 at night. I switched to LED lighting and it dropped a few degrees but still around 80. For what it's worth, even at the higher temperature, as long as its consistent and no big temp swings, it should be fine. If it goes any higher than 83, I would start to look into options.

Bought some rocks today. I went with Fiji live rock and real reef rock. I'm glad I did. The purple alone would've been really dark. I like the lighter Fiji rock for contrast, though I know it'll all change eventually. The guy at the fish store I bought the tank from (and the rocks) said less is more with an angler tank as far as rocks go. Ill probably get a few more though to build it upwards. Here's pics of the start of it! Also I'm dumping in half a bottle of bacteria now. Once my cycle ends ill add a chromi or two and dump the rest. Hope it works!

Attachments

• image-331517520.jpg
    image-331517520.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 204
  • image-2549927349.jpg
    image-2549927349.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 205
Completely aside from this topic. What lights are those on the tank to make the rocks glow like that? I want to get a night time light for my tank to make my corals fluoresce but I can't figure out what kind to get. I feel like a big dumby for not knowing too haha

Back
Top Bottom