35 gallon hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 35 gallon hexagon tank+stand for christmas, and I am trying to get as much input as possible. It is 22in. tall and 20 in wide and deep.

1. I want to use a Via Aqua 750 canister filter, will that properly filter the tank?

Also, I want to have plenty of coral, so I am planing on removing the 18" bulb and putting in a 96w retrofit kit.

2. Will this bulb properly light the tank?

I want to make a custom hood to match the stand and hide the light and heater etc, but I am not sure what type of protien skimmer will work on this tank while not being an eye sore

3. Does anyone reccomend a type of skimmer that goes under the tank, or will I just have to use a HOB one?

I am going to have a large tower of LR in the center, nearly reaching the top.

4. Does anyone know the cheapest place for LR, such as an online order, but also has good quality rock.

Lastly, I would like to have mostly small blennies gobies, and other small fish that will live on all areas of the tank swimming in and out of the LR tower.

5. Does anyone have a good suggestion of species of fish that fit this criteria?

TIA for any input, and I am sorry for being long winded, I just want this tank to be a great success.

! Canister filters are usually not recommended for reef tanks. They will help to increase levels of nitrates from the biological filtration.

2. I'm not an expert on lighting but I think that will be okay for some low light demanding corals but I would go with something more than that if I were you.

3. You will need to setup a sump/fuge if you wish to use a under the tank skimmer.

4. I suggest our sponsor liverocks.com great prices, awesome rock, and awesome customer support.

5. Pretty much all blennies and gobies will be a good choice, except the catalina goby which is a cold water fish. I have a bi-color blenny and he has an incredible personality. I plan on getting a yellow watchman goby soon, I think they are really neat as well.

Good luck with your tank, I"m sure it will be a success especially since you've found this site :lol:

Now, with the advice of my LFS, I am thinking of using instead of the canister, a refugium. Anyone have one, and advice on what to do to make them optimal filters?

Back
Top Bottom