Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

35 hex flow tips needed

So I have a 35g hex reef tank and cant seem to get good flow. I have a hydor nano 240 gph circulator and a 12" spray bar attcched to my eheim 2217. I currently have them in the back corners facing the front pane and slightly down so it hits the front, goes down and then towards the back. i used to have it so it created a mild cyclone but the center is pretty much dead. any tips are much appreciated

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajoe1 View Post
So I have a 35g hex reef tank and cant seem to get good flow. I have a hydor nano 240 gph circulator and a 12" spray bar attcched to my eheim 2217. I currently have them in the back corners facing the front pane and slightly down so it hits the front, goes down and then towards the back. i used to have it so it created a mild cyclone but the center is pretty much dead. any tips are much appreciated
Add another powerhead.

Ive had tanks with up to six powerheads to get out the dead spots, positioning can only do so much for you before you need to cave and get another. I would get atleadt a 425gph though.

Not sure how much flow your spray bar is putting out out but the rule of thumb is 30-50x turnover rate.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1! Especially if you have corals...... I would shoot for atleast 30x overturn.

Tags
flow, hex, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com