38 gallon system questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sneakymission

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a good freshwater 38 gallon and a 10 gallon and i want to switch them to saltwater. i'm going to use the 10 gal as a quarintine tank. i plan on getting like 40 lbs of fiji LR and some live sand and put 5 lbs into my 10 gallon and the rest into my big one. i would like to build a sump for my 38 gallon and use the old powerfilter for my 10 gallon. my question is what other filtration devices will i need? do i need a skimmer? im willing to spend like $300 on the light and filter stuff.

outside of the LR, just 2 powerheads, 300-400gph each IMO. A skimmer is also good idea - the only really good HOB ones are the BakPak2 and the AquaC remora. You can use a hob filter for carbon filtration here and there (optional). You can save your money and skip the livesand, if you're talking about the bagged stuff - it is agreed that the stuff is worthless. Florida live sand (from LR company) is a different story. Just get aragonite sand, the lr will seed it in no time. If you can find Southdown tropical at home depot, you can save a little more yet. THe qt is a good idea, just be ready to remove the lr if you have to add meds. As for the sump, I have had no problems without one in my 45g. I hear they can be a pain if suction is lost or during a power outage.

see here for many other topics of interest:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Back
Top Bottom