Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #241
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper
Hey Zach, I'm a freshy so I don't know to much about this. I was going to set up a SW tank a while ago and was told by RedSea (who seems to be a VERY knowledgeable SW guy), that I could only have 4 or so small fish in a 30g. I was pretty surprised! I'm used to being able to put 20-25 or so small fish in a 30g! Anyway I know where you're coming from (not liking the small amounts of fish) and I just had to accept it! Maybe you could cross over to the FW side of things and get a boatload of fish
Well i think you can get about 6 if your stock is good and everything fits properly

Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper
Is that your tank?!?!?!? That's amazing!
Lol I wish!!!

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #243
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
have i done anything bad yet? also which ones cant go in a 40 cuz im bot getting a butterfly
Which stock list are you referring to lol??

If it's the lemonpeel, maroon clown, wrasse and dottyback stock list, then I think you are ok. I would strongly suggest a tank-bred maroon clownfish to cut down on aggression though, and adding it last. And I wouldn't add any other fish after these four because two already get semi-large.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #244

The one I am refering to is lemobpeel tank bred marion clown wrasse 2 other fish (ideas??)
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #245
Aquarium Advice Freak

In a 40? If so the other two will have to be nano fish..
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #246
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the issue of swimming space regarding tangs: I've had the privilege of snorkling in Maui at an atoll and a reef just offshore as well as a reef in the Bahamas and some artificial reefs in the Bahamas. I can tell you from observing the fish there that tangs free roam all over the place and do not anchor themselves over a territory. They also form pretty large schools (20 to 30 fish). The only other fish that I saw do that were large sergeant major damselfish. Butterfly fish I saw in pairs and they also foraged all over the place. Parrotfish roamed either singley or in pairs. Grammas, smaller damsels and blennies seem to stake out a territory and the angelfish I saw (French and Queen) seemed to stay in a pretty finite area although it was pretty big. (Maybe 10' by 10'.) Groupers and morays seem to stay close to their chosen hidey hole.

The fact that they do forage constantly with no home turf is why tangs and butterflys need so much room in a home aquarium. trying to force them to stay in a small space leads to problems with stress to the point hey stop eating and starve themselves.

I'm not sure how foxface live in the wild, but I would guess it's somewhat similar to the tangs and I think Moorish Idols typically live in pairs from what I remember reading and would fall into the same boat.

Most of the other fish we keep tend to have a territory so don't tend to freak out so much when confined in an aquarium. That's my theory anyway, and it seems to hold up to the observations many others have.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #247

so i spent a day thinking about stocking IMO this stocking would be appropriate but if not please be kind, here it goes
1 lemonpeel angel
1 maroon clown
1 dottybcack
1 wrasse of somesort
a school of 3 chromis
1 chocolate chip star fish
1 reef lobster
if something is wrong, please explain
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #248
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If this is going in a 40g i would think that you have totally maxed out the tank. The angel will get pretty big as well as the clown. You will also need a lid for the wrasse as they like to jump.

If this is fish only you should be ok with the star and lobster, cause that star is NOT reef safe at all.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #249

it would be a fowlr but when you say maxed out does that mean overstocked or appropriatley stocked??
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #250
Aquarium Advice Freak

Almost over stocked

Tags
10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com