40 gal breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, it's taking longer than I thought it would to get the 40 gal going. Had the tank for a month, and just got the stand last week, while waiting for the stand I did get the RO/DI unit and my lights and today my refractometer came in the mail! My sister is going to see if she can get PFS for me, no one here has it, stores want to sell me the ugly brown play sand. Sooo if she find it where she lives I'll still have to wait til Labor Day week end when she is coming up. And haven't made up my mind yet what I want for filtration....HOB filter, HOB refugium or a canister! I am not one to wait and this is killing me, but I would rather get what I want and not settle for something I'm not going to be happy with. I will be so glad when this tank is up and running, think my small clowns are getting bored in QT! Lol

Are you able to get a sump? I have a 20g long sump for my 40b. Also, why not just go with aragonite sand? You can get it at petsmart or petco.

slitherbomb said:
Are you able to get a sump? I have a 20g long sump for my 40b. Also, why not just go with aragonite sand? You can get it at petsmart or petco.

I do have a 20 gal long, did think about a sump but I am not a diyer. Don't have any idea where/how to start building one! (Red faced). I did check in Petco for aragonite sand, they had the #0 fine or crushed coral only. Or the live sand which was costly and had algea growing in the bags! I did see some sand that was the right size, it was labeled freshwater or saltwater use. They had one 20 pound of the off white and didn't know when more would come in. The LFS sells the same stuff. I'm going to have a couple power heads and don't want the sand blowing all over since the tank is only 16 inches tall.

I have 2 800gph power heads in my 40b and if pointed right, sand won't blow all over. Also, as far as sump, it's really easy. Just go to home depot, buy an acrylic sheet along with the cutter, get some silicone (I used GE silicone II windows and doors, just make sure it is 100% silicone with no anti mildew additives or anything is in it). Then make an intake section, refugium/skimmer/whatever section, then a return pump section. Then, you can buy an overflow and return pump. I got mine from eBay as a kit for $100 that included everything I need. I also run just a refugium with chaeto algae, LR rubble, and sand.

Thanks for the info! Will do some research for a diy sump and will also check EBay for the kit!! Do you have the fine sand in your tank? I just don't want a snow storm in my tank, I see enough of that in the winter!! Lol

Well, I went to the ocean and got some sand from the water LOL. I had aragonite, and personally didn't like the look.

Back
Top Bottom