40 gal frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
How would you guys set up a 40 gallon frag tank that's a foot and a half wide and deep and 2 1/2 foot long? I'm thinking about doing it :)

I'd have things split in half by egg crate, with live rock under the crate. Normally, frag tanks are fish-less, but if I were to do it I would have a 6 line wrasse in there to attempt to remove any issues. With one fish, as much live rock as you can fit, and not feeding corals you can most likely get away with water changes as the only means of nitrate removal...maybe a small HOB filter or skimmer if they get too high.

That's not a bad idea I was thinking egg crate in the middle somewhere I was thinking of maybe adding a peppermint shrimp just incase there are any aptasias problems

That is what aiptasia-x is for. Since there won't be anything to decay in the system the thing will starve...unless you aim for the wrasse and slightly over feed to feed the shrimp...but then you'll want the skimmer to remove the proteins that build up due to that.

I was just thinking it would be a pain to do that like if I see aptasia I would have to pull the frag rack out and do it all I would probably try and target feed it and the skimmer will be well over rated for the tank

Good point haha I didn't even think of that ill go the wrasse and set it up like you said would it be better to run a refugium as well

Back
Top Bottom