40 gallon Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylecva

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you have the money, pick up a 20 or 20L and DIY refugium/sump it's definitely the way to go. I have a 40B reef and I picked up the 20H (I have a HUGE skimmer so horizontal space is limited in my stand) at the dollar per gallon sale a while back, does a fantastic just of keeping nitrates in check. The lights should be good for softies, mushrooms, zoas, I don't know about stony corals though.

4 t5ho lights should be able to handle some stony corals and all softies. The only problem I see with them is that I have yet to hear anything but negative reviews on that brand. That particular brand has a track record of overheating and catching fire. If I were you I would go with LED instead of that particular light fixture. The money you save on replacement bulbs alone will more than pay for the leds.

rather than wasting money on the T-5
spend the extra $60. and get a light like this
if you think about it your saving a lot more since you don't need to replace bulbs
like on the T-5 replacement bulbs run from $20. each all the way up the scale
Times that by 4 every 10 months
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay

That's about the exact same light I will be buying, except that I'm going for two of them over my 40 breeder

I believe 2 units to be OVERKILL... I have one over my 40 Breeder and accidentally bleached me anemone at about 1/3 power on both white and blue, it's a condy anemone and it was under 4 Bulb T5HO before the switch and thriving. You will need to hang the light above the tank about 6-12" to get coverage on the whole tank. I would suggest buying just one and trying that first, those cheap LEDs aren't going anywhere so you can try one first and just order another if you really think you still need it.

I believe 2 units to be OVERKILL... I have one over my 40 Breeder and accidentally bleached me anemone at about 1/3 power on both white and blue, it's a condy anemone and it was under 4 Bulb T5HO before the switch and thriving. You will need to hang the light above the tank about 6-12" to get coverage on the whole tank. I would suggest buying just one and trying that first, those cheap LEDs aren't going anywhere so you can try one first and just order another if you really think you still need it.

That's actually a really nice piece of information, thanks :)

My 40B starting reef w/ 1 of those lights

image-215229770.jpg

Just Blue.

image-1158295610.jpg

Back
Top Bottom