Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Kylecva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 42
So I'm thinking of picking up a 40g breeder at petsmart during the 1$ per g sale if I do I would set it up as a reef tank any thoughts on these refugiums

http://www.tropicalriverandreef.com/...oct-ref18.html


http://www.aquacave.com/EcoSystem-PR...FQee4AodmlIAMQ


http://www.aquacave.com/EcoSystem-PR...FUqk4AodmzkAsw

And these lights

http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4...re-p/52304.htm
__________________

__________________
Kylecva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
If you have the money, pick up a 20 or 20L and DIY refugium/sump it's definitely the way to go. I have a 40B reef and I picked up the 20H (I have a HUGE skimmer so horizontal space is limited in my stand) at the dollar per gallon sale a while back, does a fantastic just of keeping nitrates in check. The lights should be good for softies, mushrooms, zoas, I don't know about stony corals though.
__________________

__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,534
Quote:
So I'm thinking of picking up a 40g breeder at petsmart during the 1$ per g sale
You meant petco right
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
4 t5ho lights should be able to handle some stony corals and all softies. The only problem I see with them is that I have yet to hear anything but negative reviews on that brand. That particular brand has a track record of overheating and catching fire. If I were you I would go with LED instead of that particular light fixture. The money you save on replacement bulbs alone will more than pay for the leds.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,534
rather than wasting money on the T-5
spend the extra $60. and get a light like this
if you think about it your saving a lot more since you don't need to replace bulbs
like on the T-5 replacement bulbs run from $20. each all the way up the scale
Times that by 4 every 10 months
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
rather than wasting money on the T-5
spend the extra $60. and get a light like this
if you think about it your saving a lot more since you don't need to replace bulbs
like on the T-5 replacement bulbs run from $20. each all the way up the scale
Times that by 4 every 10 months
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay
That's about the exact same light I will be buying, except that I'm going for two of them over my 40 breeder
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
I believe 2 units to be OVERKILL... I have one over my 40 Breeder and accidentally bleached me anemone at about 1/3 power on both white and blue, it's a condy anemone and it was under 4 Bulb T5HO before the switch and thriving. You will need to hang the light above the tank about 6-12" to get coverage on the whole tank. I would suggest buying just one and trying that first, those cheap LEDs aren't going anywhere so you can try one first and just order another if you really think you still need it.
__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I believe 2 units to be OVERKILL... I have one over my 40 Breeder and accidentally bleached me anemone at about 1/3 power on both white and blue, it's a condy anemone and it was under 4 Bulb T5HO before the switch and thriving. You will need to hang the light above the tank about 6-12" to get coverage on the whole tank. I would suggest buying just one and trying that first, those cheap LEDs aren't going anywhere so you can try one first and just order another if you really think you still need it.
That's actually a really nice piece of information, thanks
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
My 40B starting reef w/ 1 of those lights

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-215229770.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	186773

Just Blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1158295610.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	186774
__________________

__________________
Chris J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.