40b ground up build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good. Don't trust that check valve. They do tend to fail in salt water applications. Sponges and all sorts of other things tend to grow in the dark areas and will obstruct that flapper from seating properly.

So not really an update, more of some input needed. I haven't plumbed both systems together yet, been dragging the feet a bit.

My big question is : I will have roughly 200 gallons once I connect the 2 and will need a bigger skimmer. What would my best option be for a bigger skimmer? I'm not planning on very many fish but I do find myself being drawn to the SPS side of things.

Looks good! Just out of curiosity, do you have a Fuge or sump under the 120?

Pisces: I recently decided that I didn't like the "rock wall" look any more in my 120 but I still wanted all 200 lbs of live rock in the system. I also acquired about 75 lbs from a friend that took down his tank so I figured by using both sumps connected I would benefit from more stable water conditions due to a larger volume of water.

Jmkb: I have a sump under the 120 currently, not as big as I would like due to space restrictions because of my return pump, but it does have a fuge in the middle section.

Like the look of the bubble magus but I think I'm gonna go with the curve 7. Little extra skimming never hurts.

So I pulled the trigger on the bubble magus curve 7, should be here Friday. Thanks Mr X for the skimmer ideas.

image-1069552458.jpg

So the curve 7 is here and assembled. Time for some serious skimming.

On another note, I finished plumbing both sumps and tanks together. All parameters are good and everything looks happy. Now just need to deal with the mess of wires and add sand to the 40 if I can find any locally that I like. I was thinking about going with black sand to make anything I add pop in color even more.

I had thought about white but I wasn't sure how I would like it. As for lighting; I don't think it will be a problem, the fixture over the tank is a 14 k 250 de Phoenix and 4 t-5 (2 aqua blue plus and 2 aqua blue special).

So the curve 7 is here and assembled. Time for some serious skimming.

I am looking at this for my 90, you will have to let us know how it works so I can see if it is enough for my tank.

It should be more than enough for a 90. It's been in a little over 12 hours and its already starting to pull stuff out. So far I am impressed.

So a small update: the new skimmer has been in for a week and all I can say is wow. It's extremely quiet and works really well, I've had to empty the cup once already and will probably need to again before the weekend is over.
I also added sand to the 40 and once the lights turn on in the morning I will post some pics.

As promised a new fts. image-2837051987.jpg

Now I just need some ideas for livestock. I was thinking a pistol/goby pair but other than that I'm not sure. Would love to hear some ideas from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom