48 HOUR POWER OUTAGE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
now the mandarin and one of the nemos are dead. everyone else ius okay (minus microfauna fa shooo) but the question is what do i do now? and the female of the pair of nemos died, should i get a new nemo? when? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
RIP mandarin and nemo both were about 2 years old and beautiful and will be missed dearly!

makana said:
now the mandarin and one of the nemos are dead. everyone else ius okay (minus microfauna fa shooo) but the question is what do i do now?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here. Do about what?

makana said:
and the female of the pair of nemos died, should i get a new nemo? when? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

If you decide to get another clown, be sure to get a smaller one. There will be a roll reversal on sexes but I've always been warned it's better to do it this way than to add a large female and hope they pair up.

makana said:
RIP mandarin and nemo both were about 2 years old and beautiful and will be missed dearly!

Sorry for your loss. :(

Sorry about your loss also :cry: but I would not add any more fish till the tank is up and running for a while. You`ll probably have some parameter changes.

And to prevent this buy a ups if your area is know outages. There cheap on ebay and will keep a ph or a airpump or even a low watt pump going for awhile. Utah sometimes has bad outage but for a year I havnt had one.

I've had power outtages like this before but luckily i had a power generator.

Ungh..well now that sucks.. I'd be very frustrated with the power co, but I guess what can you do...

I've got a ups and some 'emergency supplies' like fishrfreinds recommends, fairly cheap and could be livessavers.

Question for the forum... I assume the problem here was more lack of aeration then anything else (potentially filtration depending on the setup?).. And no here comes the odd question... Can you manually aerate the water enough to help ease through a crisis like this?
Not that I'd want to be standing over my tank for an hour at a time with a whisk...but I'd do it in a heartbeat if it'd save lives..

That is a suggested method if no other options are available to you. It just takes alot of attention. Maybe not with a wisk but taking a cup/container and pouring the water back in from a good height so it causes surface disturbance and forces air into the tank.

I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet, but you can pick up a battery powered air pump for around $15 from a LFS that sells Hagen products. I have one, and thank goodness I haven't had to use it yet, but now looking at the box, there is a website on it (http://www.hagen.com) - the product number is #A-790. It requires 2 D-size batteries. Sorry I wasn't here to answer you earlier, but since airation is one of the most important things to maintain, I thought you might like to know for future reference. You can find a Hagen LFS thru: http://www.hagen.com/usa/dealerlocator.cfm

I have a UPS, but before I was able to get one, I had this airpump for peace of mind for when my power goes out, which is constantly during the winter.

Attachments

• coral3_006.jpg
    coral3_006.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom