4ft sump tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electra blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i have a 4ft tank that i want to make into a sump for a 75g saltwater tank, can anyone tell me what products i need to make this into a sump
cheers tim

A basic sump will use an overflow box(if not already drilled). A supply hose to bring water to sump. The actual sump which you already have. Then you would need a return pump with line to bring water back to the tank. Thats all you need. If you want to create a refuge then it is pretty much the same but you would section the tank of for a supply area, a refugium area and a return chamber.

A sump is basically just a container that holds water underneath your main tank. It can be as simple as a rubbermaid container, or as fancy as a plexiglass fortress. It can hold your equipment such as pumps, heaters, and skimmers. It can also hold LR rubble for extra filtration, and anything else really. Dividers (baffles) can direct water flow to separate it into different compartments for the return pump & skimmer, etc. Outflow brings water in, return pump brings water back into your main tank.

A refugium can be part of a sump (if you add dividers in the sump for it), or it can be a container on its own where microalgea is grown to reduce nitrates. Lights are added to keep the algea alive.. this is a highly effective means for filtration. Kinda looks like a mini-forrest if you like to consider it that way... check some of the user images for examples of them.

~~Rob

Back
Top Bottom