5 stage RO/DI units on ebay, worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
There are numerous 5 stage RO/DI units on ebay, and i have been kicking around getting one. Is there anything special I need to look for or beware of. This is the one I'm considering.

I would REALLY appreicate any thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

1078138076735_wac5.jpg

I hear filterdirect (one of the main sellers of these on ebay) mentioned all the time here and I have seen this question posted before. You might want to search through the posts and you will probably find the answer you need.

I have the 6 stage unit like the one you are looking at. Quality is good but shipping was longer than I expected. My ebay user ID is Brandst, I left him feedback a few days ago.

Steve

A few things to beware of when looking at the "budget" RO units. First, don't be misled by the one claiming to have 5 or 6 stages. Usually, this means that it comes with an inline post DI carbon cartridge which is not necessary. The 6 stage units often have two sediment filters...again, in most situations, this is of no benefit. If you're on well water, you might benefit from dual sediment carts. I use a 10 mic followed by a 1 mic because my well can get a little muddy at times. For city/county water, it's not needed. Another thing I've seen is that some of the units will have an "inline" DI cartridge. These are smaller than the regular DI cart and do not last as long. They are nearly as expensive to replace as the full size carts. All you really need is 1 sediment, 1 carbon, RO membrane, DI cartridge. Most of these units will not come with pressure gauges or TDS meters either. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying one...just pointing out some of the things manufacturers do to cut costs or make thier unit seem better than it really is. Take a look at the Aqua FX units. These are top of the line, no nonsense units. Even if you don't want to buy one of their units, I would suggest using them as a comparison for any unit you're looking at.

Thanks folks. Loganj, excellent info!!!!!! I will check out the aqua fx units and do some more research. There are some on ebay with pressure gauge included, but I don't know what benefit this provides.................the pressure of the water entering the unit maybe?????

Assuming you know your water pressure at the tap, the pressure gauge on the unit will tell you when your sediment and carbon filters are clogging (sediment mostly). If you have 60psi at the tap and your unit gauge is showing 20psi after the sediment/carbon filters, you know they are clogging and need to be changed.

Back
Top Bottom